Subject: RE: [rohc] SigComp Interop

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:37:40 -0600

Hi Richard,

A quick question. Does the following mean a sender can
assume DMS on the receiving side = 131072?

-----------------------------
iii) Long messages (up to 64K over UDP)
------------------------------

Zhigang
 
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: "Price, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:41:59 -0000

Hi Zhigang,

In general, the sender should assume that DMS = 2048 unless
the receiver specifically agrees to offer more (either by
prior agreement, or inband using the SigComp feedback mechanism).

For this particular case, it would be useful to test the
sender behaviour for both extremes (DMS = 2048 and DMS = 131072).
If the receiver offers insufficient memory then the sender
should just send the long message uncompressed.

Regards,

Richard

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 11:38 PM
> To: Price, Richard; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [rohc] SigComp Interop
> 
> 
> Hi Richard,
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:24:53 -0600

So, the answer is that just for this test case, the sender
can assume the receiver support DMS = 131072?

Zhigang

> From: ext Price, Richard [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: February 07, 2003 3:42 AM
> To: Liu Zhigang.C (NRC/Dallas); [email-masked]

---

From: "Price, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:12:43 -0000

Hi Zhigang,

If possible I'd like to test both cases. Firstly, the receiver
should offer DMS = 131072 and the sender should compress the
long message using as much memory as it likes.

Secondly, the receiver should offer DMS = 2048 to see what
happens. If the sender is implemented correctly then
decompression failure won't occur (if the sender can't compress
the long message with DMS = 2048 then it should just send it
uncompressed).

Regards,

Richard

> Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 5:25 PM

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:41:35 -0600

> the long message with DMS = 2048 then it should just send it

I don't think sender can ever compress a 64KB message, unless
it can compress it down to something like 1KB. By definition,
part of DMS is used to buffer the compressed message.

So, basically if the receiver does not advertise any DMS,
this test is to check if the sender is "smart" enough to 
send the message uncompressed.

Zhigang

---

From: "Lajos Zaccomer (ETH)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:22:44 +0100

Hi,

I don't think this is an interoperability issue. It can be checked fine alone.
It is true that decomp failure does not happen, but compression failure does. That is why it is an internal affair.

BR/Zacco

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 6:42 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [rohc] SigComp Interop

Zhigang