Subject: [rohc] ROHC TCP requirements, compression if IPv4 Options are present?

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:07:41 +0100

While reviewing the ROHC TCP requirements, we have found that it
suggests compression should work also with IPv4 Options. We believe
this requirement does not really make sense, and suggest to replace
the current text:
"2.2.  Supported Headers and Kinds of TCP Streams

    1. IPv4 and IPv6: Must support both IPv4 and IPv6. This means that
       all possible changes in the IP header fields must be handled by
       the compression scheme, and commonly changing fields should be
       compressed efficiently. Compression must not be disabled if IPv4
       Options or IPv6 Extensions are present. The compression scheme
       must further consider as normal operation the scenario where
       Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) [RFC-3168] is applied and
       support efficient compression also in the case when the ECN bits
       are used."

With:
"2.2.  Supported Headers and Kinds of TCP Streams

    1. IPv4 and IPv6: Must support both IPv4 and IPv6. This means that
       all possible changes in the IP header fields must be handled by
       the compression scheme, and commonly changing fields should be
       compressed efficiently. Compression must not be disabled if IPv6
       Extensions are present. The compression scheme must further
       consider as normal operation the scenario where Explicit
       Congestion Notification (ECN) [RFC-3168] is applied, and support 
       efficient compression also in the case when the ECN bits are used.

/Lars-Erik et al.

-----------------------------------
Lars-Erik Jonsson, M.Sc
Wireless IP Optimizations
AWARE - Advanced Wireless Algorithm Research
Ericsson Research, Corporate Unit
Ericsson AB
Box 920, S-971 28 Luleå, Sweden
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: +46 920 20 21 07
Fax: +46 920 20 20 99
Home: +46 920 999 57

My opinions are my personal opinions and should not be considered
as the opinions of my employer, if not explicitly stated. 

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc