Subject: [rohc] Lessons learned from 5 years of 3095 experience

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson \(LU/EAB\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:49:26 +0200

ROHCers,

In the ROHC implementer's guide, we have collected clarifications
to ambiguities, inconsistencies, and other specification flaws of
RFC 3095. The purpose of this has been to guide implementer's towards
interoperability and functional operation, but not to introduce 
changes to any well specified mechanisms, even if we have seen
potential for improvements. The implementer's guide therefore got
an appendix B where additional ideas for improvements, based on
experience, could be collected. However, there is currently not much
in this appendix.

Now with 5 years of RFC 3095 experience, I think it would be a proper
time to start collecting additional experience-based ideas also for
appendix B. We should do this while we have implementer's actively
involved in the working group, and before we all start forgetting
what we have disliked in 3095. When doing ROHC TCP, we have already
taken our 3095 experiences into account, so we can probably identify
the most important ideas by looking into what we have done different
with ROHC TCP. However, there are probably additional RTP-specific 
issues that are also worth paying attention to and document.

So, please contribute with your reflections and ideas!

BR
/L-E

--------------------------------------
Lars-Erik Jonsson
IETF ROHC WG Chair
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: +46 8 404 29 61

My opinions are my personal opinions and should not be considered
as the opinions of my employer, if not explicitly stated.  

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc