Subject: [rohc] Comment on Reordering Draft

From: "Kapoor, Rohit" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:11:00 -0700

Lars-Erik,
 
I have a comment regarding the following paragraph in the RoHC over reordering channels draft.
 
5.2.1. Functionality Incompatible with Reordering
 
   Timer-based compression of RTP TS (see [2], section 4.5.4) is built
   on an assumption of timely (minimal jitter) delivery. When using this
   encoding method, the decompressor discards packets arriving with an
   arrival time that is outside the estimated upper bound for the
   estimated jitter. Therefore it should be used with care over links
   where reordering can occur, with respect to the amount of jitter that
   can be introduced by reordering.

Timer-based compression is not really incompatible with reordering. In fact, the only requirement is one of e2e jitter to be bounded for timer-based to work. Even though the paragraph says at the end that "it should be used with care over links where reordering can occur", I think inclusion of this paragraph under the "Functionality Incompatible with Reordering" section can cause confusion. My suggestion would be to include this under a separate section, potentially entitled something like "Things to Keep in Mind when using RoHC over Reordering Channels" or something along these lines.
 
Thanks,
Rohit
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc