Subject: RE: [rohc] SigComp - is the bytecode representation unique?

From: "Chintan Shah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 13:01:27 +0530

Cristian,

One basic rule of compression: Try to get minimum number of bytes as
part of compression. Using all the three rules, you will get the same
value. It's ideal to generate Byte-code, which has minimum number of
bytes. Why to go for 3 bytes, when you can retrieve the same information
from 1 byte. 2nd & 3rd rule are helpful to fetch data, which does not
fit under Rule 1.

Sorry 4 late reply !

Cheers,
Chintan

---------------------------------------------------------------
Chintan Shah

LG Soft India
7th Floor | Embassy Icon | Infantry Rd | Bangalore-17
M: (+91)  94487 60715

"Start by doing what is necessary,
then what is possible, and
suddenly you are doing the impossible"
                                                    -St. Francis of
Assisi
----------------------------------------------------------------
Add me
<https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=12885040721&v0=273750&k0=712584191>  to
your address book...

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Cristian CONSTANTIN
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 4:51 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [rohc] SigComp - is the bytecode representation unique?

hi!

suppose you're using the assembly language for UDVM defined in
draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-user-guide-01.txt and write a udvm program;
then you translate it into bytecode. is the result of this translation
unique or are there _several possible_ (correct) representations in
bytecode
for _the same_ assembly program?

if I refer to "Figure 10: Bytecode for a multitype (%) operand" in the
SigComp RFC then, the value %0, for example, can be represented like:

0x00     on one byte, when using the first rule
0xA000   on two bytes, when using the seventh rule
0x800000 on three bytes, when using the eighth rule

are all these representations correct?
thanks in advance for your answer.
bye now!
cristian
--
 _          | There are many people who use UNIX or Linux
(_'_        | who IMHO do not understand UNIX.
  (_'rist   |              --David Korn
GPG public key at wwwkeys.de.pgp.net

************************************************************************

This Email Message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and May contain CONFIDENTIAL and PRIVILEGED information.
LG Soft India will not be responisible for any viruses or defects or any forwarded attachements emanating either from within
LG Soft India or outside. Any unauthorised review , use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not intentded
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc