Subject: [rohc] WGLC comments to torture-tests and user-guide

From: Pekka Pessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:28:40 +0300

Hello all,

My last call comments for torture-tests and user-guide...

I've run successfully all the tests on torture-tests-01 spending
indicated number of cycles. I have brewsed through the document
otherwise. I've found a few typos:

sucessively => successively ?, 
begining => beginning,
partial_identifer_length => partial_identifier_length

Random late improvement: it would be useful to state why a
decompression failure occurs in appendix A, too.

I've assembled and run the algorithms specified in user-guide, and
got the expected output.  

Nits:

1) The assembly language ABNF for <name> is incorrect,

   name             =     (lowercase / "_") 1*(lowercase / digit / "_")

should be

   name             =     (lowercase / "_") 0*(lowercase / digit / "_")

(After spotting this significant error. I trust authors to run spelling
checker on their document.)

2) This paragraph could mention readonly(1):

   N.B. When using "!" in the assembly language to generate bytecode,
   care must be taken to ensure that the address of the zero used at
   bytecode generation time will still contain zero when the bytecode is
   run.

Also, it would be nice to clarify what is the area of memory the
readonly() directive acts on in section 3.2.3

3) Last paragraph in 3.2.2 could expressly state that the
resulting bytecode may or need not to be the shortest one.

4) Section 3.3, a leftover paragraph from days when destionation
  value 0 was not reserved for NACK?

   Additionally, all memory addresses between Address 0 and Address 31
   inclusive are initialized to endpoint-specific values by the UDVM, so
   they must be specified as padding in the bytecode or the standard
   SigComp header cannot be used.  Memory addresses from Address 32 to
   Address (destination - 1) inclusive are initialized to 0, so they
   must be specified either as padding or as 0s if the bytecode is to be
   successfully uploaded using the standard SigComp header.

5) Section 4.1.1.1 following paragraph could mention "stream" or "tcp":

   Note that the actual size of this circular buffer depends on the
   total amount of memory available to the UDVM.  The minimum size of
   the UDVM memory is 1K, so the circular buffer will always contain at
   least 512 bytes.

6) this draft => this document in a few places

Random late improvement: unknown assembly directives should be ignored.

--Pekka

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: Cristian CONSTANTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:10:38 +0200

> readonly() directive acts on in section 3.2.3

cristian: now, that you have mentioned it, I guess stating explicitly the 
default behaviour (rw I suppose...) would also be nice.

bye now!
cristian
-- 
 _          | There are many people who use UNIX or Linux  
(_'_        | who IMHO do not understand UNIX.
  (_'rist   |              --David Korn  
GPG public key at wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc