Subject: RE: [rohc] When to move to R-mode

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:44:32 +0200

Ajay,

> When does the decompressor choose to initiate a transition to R-mode?
> What parameters does it consider to decide make a R->O or R->O mode
> transition.

This is an implementation issue, potentially link-dependent.

> For low bandwidth connections where constant feedbacks is not
> desirable, wouldn't O mode be more preferred over R mode?

Yes, that is most probably true.

/L-E

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: Aj <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:11:22 -0700

> This is an implementation issue, potentially link-dependent.

Is there any guideline for this? I dint see anything in the
impl-guide.  Although the improvements draft talks about using
unifying the modes into one, for the existing implementations with
three modes, is there any recommendation as to when O->R transition
should happen?

Thanks,
Regards,
Ajay

---

From: Mark West <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:00:35 +0100 (BST)

Ajay,

The simple answer is: 'no'.  For a specific link, all you can do is run
header compression (real or simulated) in different modes with different
configuration parameters and explore the performance differences.  From
that, you should be able to work out which mode is best under what
circumstances.

I am not aware of any published information of this nature.

Cheers,

Mark.