Subject: [rohc] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-04.txt

From: "Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:05:07 -0600

Hi All,

Please review and comment on the updated draft "Protocol Extensions for
Header Compression over MPLS"
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protoco
l-04.txt).

The updates are based on comments from Colin Perkins, see
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg06407.html.

The main changes include the following:

1. Added detail to worked example in Section 5 to illustrate how the
actual header compressed data is encapsulated.

2. Clarified Section 4 (2nd paragraph), updated security considerations
Section 6, and updated IANA considerations Section 8.

Once again, please review and comment on the updated draft.  

Thanks,
Jerry 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 3:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-04.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of
the IETF.

	Title		: Protocol Extensions for Header Compression
over MPLS
	Author(s)	: J. Ash, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-04.txt
	Pages		: 29
	Date		: 2006-3-7
	
VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP. When MPLS
labels are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels. For an
MPLS VPN, the packet header is typically 48 bytes, while the voice
payload is often no more than 30 bytes, for example. Header
compression can significantly reduce the overhead through various
compression mechanisms.  MPLS is used to route header-compressed (HC)
packets over an MPLS LSP without compression/decompression cycles at
each router.  Such an HC over MPLS capability increases the bandwidth
efficiency as well as processing scalability of the maximum number of
simultaneous compressed flows that use HC at each router.  MPLS
pseudowires are used to transport the HC context and other control
messages between the ingress and egress MPLS label switched router
(LSR).  Standard HC methods (e.g., ECRTP, ROHC, etc.) are re-used to
determine the context.  Each HC scheme operates over a single
pseudowire instance very much like it would over a single
point-to-point link.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol
-04.txt

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc