Subject: [rohc] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Robust Header Compression Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: RObust Header Compression (ROHC): A Profile for TCP/IP (ROHC-TCP)
	Author(s)	: G. Pelletier, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-12.txt
	Pages		: 91
	Date		: 2006-6-22
	
This document specifies a ROHC (Robust Header Compression) profile
for compression of TCP/IP packets.  The profile, called ROHC-TCP, is
a robust header compression scheme for TCP/IP that provides high
compression efficiency combined with high robustness.  ROHC-TCP also
provides enhanced capabilities for compression of frequently used TCP
options (such as SACK (Selective Acknowledgments) and Timestamps
compared to previous TCP/IP header compression schemes.
ROHC-TCP works well when used over links with significant error rates
and long round-trip times.  For many bandwidth-limited links where
header compression is essential, such characteristics are common.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-12.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-12.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-12.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: "Kristofer Sandlund \(LU/EAB\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:26:25 +0200

Hi,

here's a summary of the changes made since revision-11 (from January).

The technical changes are small, but there are quite large editorial
changes, especially due to the revised FN syntax introduced in the
lastest revision of the FN draft (which has been submit, but not yet
announced for some reason).

I think that this draft is now pretty much finished, so now would be
a really good time to review & implement this draft.

Changes from rohc-tcp-11 to rohc-tcp-12
--
A diff can as usually be found at the following address:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/rohc/draft-ietf-rohc-tcp/draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-12-from-11.diff.html

Text:
- A number of editorial fixes, mostly related to consistent spelling 
and re-phrasing to make things more easy to understand.
- Added "chaining of items" to terminology and removed the 4.3.1 
section on irregular chains
- Listed all compressible headers (the so-called extension headers) 
both in the informative and normative parts
- Updated all references and added normative references to extension
header definitions
- Updated text on CRC feedback option coverage to conform with 
implementer's guide instead of with 3095
- Added two new text-defined encoding methods 
(baseheader_extension_headers and baseheader_outer_headers), which 
are needed to be formally correct with the FN (also fixes the CRC 
coverage).

Packet formats:
- Updated the entire code to the new FN syntax
- Updated replicate formats to not try to lsb-encode changing fields
- Narrowed down GRE compression to make more sense
- Removed format_8, which should have gone during the last update, 
but it was forgotten then. This lead to small updates in a number 
of base headers due to freeing up some discriminator space
- Removed all box notation from the FN code. Since it was not 
normative, it just caused confusion
- Cleared up where the compressor chooses values of control fields
- Simplified some code which was made possible by the new FN syntax

/Kristofer

[email-masked] wrote:

> You can also visit
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce