Subject: [rohc] ROHC Charter Update Proposal

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson \(LU/EAB\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:20:08 +0200

ROHCers,

Me and Magnus (the AD) have put together a charter update 
proposal (including the new work items already brought to
the WG, which we have agreed to address). Please review, 
comments can be sent either to the list or offline to me.

BR
/L-E

Description of Working Group:
*****************************

The Robust Header Compression (ROHC) Working Group was formed to
develop new header compression protocols, designed to suit today's
and future target link technologies. Most specifically, the ROHC
protocols were to take into account typical needs presented by
various wireless link technologies, and perform well for cellular
links built using technologies such as WCDMA, EDGE, and CDMA-2000.
Coping with e.g. high loss rates and long roundtrip times have thus
been in focus in the protocol development.

The WG has specified a common compression protocol platform, the
ROHC framework, along with a number of compression protocols
(profiles). Most focus has been on compression of the Real-time
Transport Protocol (RTP) headers, but profiles have also been
specified for compression of UDP, ESP, IP-only, UDP-Lite, and TCP
headers. The WG has further produced a ROHC link integration
specification for PPP, an optimized RTP compression scheme for
"0-byte compression", a ROHC MIB, as well as various informational
documents related to ROHC header compression and/or header
compression in general.

In addition to the work on header compression, the ROHC WG has also
developed the SigComp (Signaling Compression) protocol for
end-to-end compression of text-based signaling protocol messages.

The working group maintains connections with other standardization
organizations developing cellular technology for IP, such as 3GPP
and 3GPP-2, to ensure that its output fulfils their requirements
and will be put to good use.

The current aims of the working group are: 

- to carry out a re-work of the ROHC framework and profiles
  specifications, hereafter referred to as the ROHCv2 project. The
  purpose of the ROHCv2 project is to generate a separate framework
  specification as well as a set of revised compression profiles.
  One specific goal with the ROHCv2 profiles is to improve
  tolerance to packet reordering between compressor and decompressor.

- to update and correct the original profile specifications through
  publication of the "Corrections and Clarifications to
  RFC 3095"-document.

- to finalize the ROHC profile work for TCP header compression.

- to develop and/or document proper protocol solutions to apply
  ROHC over IPsec tunnels.

- to finalize the "SigComp implementer's guide" and "SigComp for
  SIP" documents.

The longer term goal of the working group is to advance all its
specifications to Draft Standard status (with an exception for the
original profiles being revised as part of the ROHCv2 activity).

Goals and Milestones:
*********************

Done       Problem analysis ROHC-over-channels-that-can-reorder-
           packets submitted to IESG for publication as
           Informational. 
Done       I-Ds of ROHC IP/UDP/RTP bis, framework and profiles
           separated. 
Aug 2006   RFC 3095 Implementer's Guide submitted to IESG for
           publication as Proposed Standard. 
Sep 2006   IP/TCP compression scheme submitted to IESG for
           publication as Proposed Standard. 
Nov 2006   ROHC framework submitted to IESG for publication as
           Proposed Standard.
Nov 2006   SigComp for SIP submitted to IESG for publication as
           Proposed Standard.
Dec 2006   Revised ROHC IPUDP//RTP profiles submitted to IESG for
           publication as Proposed Standard.
Dec 2006   SigComp Implementer's Guide submitted to IESG for
           publication as Informational.
Jan 2007   RObust Header Compression Protocol Number Registration
           submitted to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.
Feb 2007   ROHC encapsulation profile(s) for IPHC/CRTP/eCRTP
           submitted to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.
Mar 2007   IKE/IPsec extensions for HC-session Parameter
           Negotiation submitted to IESG for publication as
           Proposed Standard.
Mar 2007   Header Compression over IPsec (HCoIPsec) submitted to
           IESG for publication as Informational
Jun 2007   Recharter of WG to develop additional profiles, if
           needed, or possible additional compression schemes.
           Consideration of concluding the working group. 

--------------------------------------
Lars-Erik Jonsson
IETF ROHC WG Chair
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: +46 8 404 29 61

My opinions are my personal opinions and should not be considered
as the opinions of my employer, if not explicitly stated.

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc