Subject: [rohc] how to send uncompressed SIP request over TCP?

From: Carrie Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 16:00:52 +0800

Hi experts,

When the client needs to send uncompressed SIP request over TCP for
some reasons, should the comp=sigcomp be included in topmost Via header?

If the comp=sigcomp is included, then the server will send compressed
SIP response in the same TCP connection (RFC3261, the same TCP
connection should be used within one transaction) which violates the
following statement in "draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-sip-02.txt"  that
"Applications MUST NOT mix SIP messages and SigComp messages
on a single TCP connection."

We are considering the following rules for clients to address this:
1) if client wants to receive compressed SIP response, it can include
comp=sigcomp in the topmost Via header in the SIP request, but the
client MUST use the well-known shim header mechanism to send the
uncompressed SIP request, otherwise
2) client should not include comp=sigcomp in the topmost Via header in
the SIP request if it does not use shim header to send uncompressed
message, so that server won't mix the compressed SigComp response
and uncompressed SIP request in a signal TCP connection.

Does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions? Is there any plan to add
some statement in "draft-ietf-rohc-sigcomp-sip-02.txt" about this?

Regards,
Carrie

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc