Subject: [rohc] RoHCv2 and Timer-based compression of RTP Timestamp

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:37:16 +0300

Hi,

I looked at draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-rohcv2-profiles-00.txt and I
couldn't find any mention about "Timer-based compression of RTP
Timestamp" (as in chapter 4.5.4 in RFC3095).

I wonder why it is not there?

Thanks,

	Teemu

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: "Ghyslain Pelletier \(LU/EAB\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:22:14 +0200

Teemu,

The technical merits of timer-based compression, and whether to include
it or not in RoHCv2, have already been discussed on the list and at the
Montreal meeting.

As you know, everything sent to the list gets archived!

The last mail on this thread is found at the following link:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rohc/current/msg04408.html
You can start from there and make your way back through the discussion.

I have also summarized pros and cons of having timer-based compression
in RoHCv2 in my presentation at the MTL meeting: 
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06jul/slides/rohc-2/sld41.htm

My understanding is that so far the consensus leans towards not to
support tbc in RoHCv2. Personnally, based on the technical discussion, I
am happy with this consensus. In our original individual submission,
which later got accepted as a wg document, we consciously made the
proposal wihtout supporting tbc so it is not something that was
"forgotten".

Regards,

///Ghyslain

[email-masked] wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I looked at draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-rohcv2-profiles-00.txt
> and I couldn't find any mention about "Timer-based
> compression of RTP Timestamp" (as in chapter 4.5.4 in RFC3095).
>