Subject: [rohc] rohc padding

From: "pradeep shambhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:23:05 +0530

Segmentation is related to MAC layer, Padding is not related to
Segmentation.then why do we need padding in rohc? .
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: "Ghyslain Pelletier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:06:23 +0200

Support of padding and segmentation may differ between link layer
technologies; when ROHC was designed there was no assumption that all
link layer technology where header compression would be deployed can
perform segmentation, or that there did not exist at least one such link
layer that would only support discrete sizes and would thus make use of
padding.
 
Segmentation and padding is not _needed_ by the ROHC protocol itself,
i.e. a compressor may refrain from ever using that at all if not needed
in the environment in which it is deployed; however, the decompressor
must always support reassembly and removal of padding unless this
environment can ensure that the compressor will never use segmentation
or padding and this can be known by the decompressor implementation
somehow.
 
Cheers,
 
///Ghyslain

________________________________

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of pradeep shambhu
	Sent: den 17 september 2008 13:53
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [rohc] rohc padding

---

From: Sarkar Biplab <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:37:17 +0530

Hi Pradeep,

Padding in ROHC is for alignment.

Thanks
Biplab