Subject: [Roll] IETF Building Requirements for ROLL

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:09:42 -0500

Hello all,

At JP's request this email is a brief introduction of myself, my company 
and the informational document I have submitted to ROLL.  I will be in 
attendance at the Tuesday, July 29 ROLL meeting in Dublin, but would like 
to brief you on the content of the document.  Hopefully you will get a 
chance to review the document prior to the meeting.  I hope to be able to 
answer any questions you may have.  If you cannot be in attendance, please 
feel free to forward to me your questions on email.  I will try to answer 
them for you.

I am Jerry Martocci.  I am pretty seasoned in standards and committee 
work.  I have been a member of the BACnet Committee since 1997 and an 
active member of the ZigBee Alliance since 2004.  However, this is my 
first foray into the IETF.  BACnet is an ISO Standard for commercial 
building interoperability of sensors, actuators and controllers,  ZigBee 
is a sensor/controller 802.15.4 based technology.  I've been at Johnson 
Controls for 30+ years in both technical and engineering management 
capacities.  Johnson Controls is a US based manufacturing company ($38B) 
providing building, automotive and battery product solutions globally.

JP corralled me in April to draft sensor, actuator and controller routing 
requirements for commercial buildings.  I agreed, however, I said I would 
not limit the document to routing requirements only.  My position then and 
now is that there are other logistic and economic issues that must be 
addressed regarding embedded IP sensor/controller networks prior to 
dealing with the routing algorithms.  The resulting paper is a compendium 
of these requirements defining product, network, cost, security and 
routing requirements.  The paper is available on the IETF - ROLL 
repository in both txt and pdf formats.  I'd recommend reviewing the pdf 
format since it contains tables, figures and charts not available in the 
txt version.  The filenames are:

draft-martocci-roll-commercial-routing-req-00.txt
draft-martocci-roll-commercial-routing-req-00.pdf

I will provide a quick overview of the document at the meeting and then 
address any comments and questions you may have.

Hope to meet you in Dublin.  (I'll be the guy having no clue what to do or 
where to go!!!)

Best Regards,

Jerry Martocci

Johnson Controls Inc.
507 E Michigan Street 
Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA 53202
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Roll mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: "David Goodall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:27:58 +1000

Hi Jerry,

Do you have any time synchronization requirements? In other words do all
sensors in a building need to be synchronized and if so, what is the
required resolution, e.g. sub-microsecond?

Regards,

David

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:10 AM
To: [email-masked]; JP Vasseur
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Roll] IETF Building Requirements for ROLL

Hello all, 

At JP's request this email is a brief introduction of myself, my company and
the informational document I have submitted to ROLL.  I will be in
attendance at the Tuesday, July 29 ROLL meeting in Dublin, but would like to
brief you on the content of the document.  Hopefully you will get a chance
to review the document prior to the meeting.  I hope to be able to answer
any questions you may have.  If you cannot be in attendance, please feel
free to forward to me your questions on email.  I will try to answer them
for you. 

I am Jerry Martocci.  I am pretty seasoned in standards and committee work.
I have been a member of the BACnet Committee since 1997 and an active member
of the ZigBee Alliance since 2004.  However, this is my first foray into the
IETF.  BACnet is an ISO Standard for commercial building interoperability of
sensors, actuators and controllers,  ZigBee is a sensor/controller 802.15.4
based technology.  I've been at Johnson Controls for 30+ years in both
technical and engineering management capacities.  Johnson Controls is a US
based manufacturing company ($38B) providing building, automotive and
battery product solutions globally. 

JP corralled me in April to draft sensor, actuator and controller routing
requirements for commercial buildings.  I agreed, however, I said I would
not limit the document to routing requirements only.  My position then and
now is that there are other logistic and economic issues that must be
addressed regarding embedded IP sensor/controller networks prior to dealing
with the routing algorithms.  The resulting paper is a compendium of these
requirements defining product, network, cost, security and routing
requirements.  The paper is available on the IETF - ROLL repository in both
txt and pdf formats.  I'd recommend reviewing the pdf format since it
contains tables, figures and charts not available in the txt version.  The
filenames are: 

Best Regards, 

Jerry Martocci 

Johnson Controls Inc. 
507 E Michigan Street

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:49:27 -0500

David,

Not at this time.  In the future we may add 'locationing' mechanisms to 
our wireless devices to track asset (or people) in a building.  At that 
point, we would decide if we needed a TDOA (time difference of arrival) 
algorithm and might then meed precise time syncs.  At this time however 
all controllers are independent entities operating asynchronously.

Thanks for the comments.  If you think we need time sync, we can add a 
requirement.  I did put a QoS requirement in the document.  In many cases 
the need for time sync is due to latencies realized in moving the source 
packet through the network to a serving device.  If those latencies were 
minimized or at least constant, the need for critical time syncs are 
reduced.

Regards,

Jerry

"David Goodall" <[email-masked]> 
07/23/2008 09:27 PM

To
<[email-masked]>
cc
<[email-masked]>
Subject
RE: [Roll] IETF Building Requirements for ROLL

Hi Jerry,

Regards,
David

Hello all, 

Best Regards, 

Jerry Martocci 

Johnson Controls Inc. 
507 E Michigan Street

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:02:09 +0200

An interesting issue for sure, but bear in mind that this is outside on our
scope. The document is full of very useful information for the WG but with
also quite a few requirements and items that are not related to routing.
I¹ll make a detailed pass at it very soon.

Thanks for the work Jerry.

Cheers,

JP.

On 7/24/08 8:49 PM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> 
> David, 
> 
> Not at this time.  In the future we may add 'locationing' mechanisms to our
> wireless devices to track asset (or people) in a building.  At that point, we
> would decide if we needed a TDOA (time difference of arrival) algorithm and
> might then meed precise time syncs.  At this time however all controllers are
> independent entities operating asynchronously.
> 
> requirement.  I did put a QoS requirement in the document.  In many cases the
> need for time sync is due to latencies realized in moving the source packet
> through the network to a serving device.  If those latencies were minimized or
> at least constant, the need for critical time syncs are reduced.
> 
> Regards, 
> 
> Jerry 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> "David Goodall" <[email-masked]> 07/23/2008 09:27 PM
> To 
> sensors in a building need to be synchronized and if so, what is the required
> resolution, e.g. sub-microsecond?
>  
> Regards, 
> David 
>  
>  
> the informational document I have submitted to ROLL.  I will be in attendance
> at the Tuesday, July 29 ROLL meeting in Dublin, but would like to brief you on
> the content of the document.  Hopefully you will get a chance to review the
> document prior to the meeting.  I hope to be able to answer any questions you
> may have.  If you cannot be in attendance, please feel free to forward to me
> your questions on email.  I will try to answer them for you.
> 
> I am Jerry Martocci.  I am pretty seasoned in standards and committee work.  I
> have been a member of the BACnet Committee since 1997 and an active member of
> the ZigBee Alliance since 2004.  However, this is my first foray into the
> based manufacturing company ($38B) providing building, automotive and battery
> product solutions globally.
> 
> requirements for commercial buildings.  I agreed, however, I said I would not
> limit the document to routing requirements only.  My position then and now is
> that there are other logistic and economic issues that must be addressed
> regarding embedded IP sensor/controller networks prior to dealing with the
> routing algorithms.  The resulting paper is a compendium of these requirements
> defining product, network, cost, security and routing requirements.  The paper
> is available on the IETF - ROLL repository in both txt and pdf formats.  I'd
> recommend reviewing the pdf format since it contains tables, figures and
> charts not available in the txt version.  The filenames are:
>