Subject: question about multipath routing applicability and internet traffic pattern

From: "Jing Shen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 22:25:16 +0800

Hi,

I want to make clear some problems while doing with multipath routing.

At current time routing is done with unipath ( including ECMP  on it), while in some ISP network
network optimization is done according to the traffic pattern derived from observation.
it is found such methodology works fine in current network environment  ( Am i right with current situation? )

But TE asks us to make full use of network resource and improve the network's adapting ability 
to bursty traffic. Although overprovision is adopted to deal with such requirements, it is not the 
least cost solution ( I think).  But as we simulate some of the multipath routing method for 
intradomain routing, under uniform traffic pattern multipath always shows  bad congestion 
delivery capacity. :-(

My questions raise with such experience is :

1. How is the network traffic distributed when considering edge-to-edge connections ? What about aggregation? 
   what I want to make clear is : how non_uniformility is ? what is the flow level properties ? 
   
2. Is it reasonable to simulate a network with only a subset of node exchange traffic?  How could 
   load sensitive routing affect the traffic distibution over the network? is there any paper on it?
   
I found i lost in the jungle as our experiments shows different result showed by some papers I read.
Would you please give some help? 

great thanks to each word you give.

Regards

Jing Shen