Subject: fast protocol hellos

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:24:17 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

I have a proposal for fast protocol keepalives, PLP.  Essentially, a
keepalive captures the liveness state of a number of protocols as
a bit vector: the keepalive is small and can be processed quickly,
hence can be sent fairly often.  A key point is that existing
protocols (ISIS, OSPF, ...) need not be modified except to accept
PLP triggers regarding the liveness of a neighbor.

The details are in draft-kompella-rag-plp-00.txt, which should be
in the repository now.

Comments would be lovely.

Kireeti.

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:52:59 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, Kireeti Kompella 
> Comments would be lovely.

Kireeti,

The protocol is simple, does one thing and does it reasonably well.
It certainly solves a problem for GbE and 10GbE or other interface
that doesn't have a fast link layer fault detection.

This would be very easy to implement on (smart) line cards for a very
fast indication of liveness (or non-liveness) and there is enough
dynamic range in the "Dead Interval" (2^24 microseconds ~ 16 seconds)
to accommodate even relatively slow implementation done in a route
processor.

Note that a slow reciever can consider the dead interval to be longer.
The sender is only indicating that it can send regularly at the higher
interval.

It still might be worth having a "slower please" message to indicate
that while the sender can put out one packet per microsecond the
receiver would have trouble processing the load and it would do no
good to send faster than some specified rate.

It might also be worth noting that the PLP packets need to be stuck
into or near the front of any queue to support really short intervals.

Curtis

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:52:59 -0500

Kireeti,

Curtis