Subject: what questions can be discussed here?

From: Wenpeng Zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 21:38:17 +0300 (EET DST)

Hi,
I am novice to this discusssion forum, What kind of questions can be
discussed here?

For real-time traffic, for instance, voice in networks, Can we use RED
or methods similar to RED to prevent congestion?

Wenpeng

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 13:04:15 -0700

Wenpeng,

 This mailing list is for technical discussions that are within the
 scope of IETF Routing Area (i.e., IP routing), as well as
 non-technical ones concerning the Routing Area itself. Questions
 specific to particular routing protocols are usually discussed on the
 mailing lists of corresponding Working Groups.

 We're pretty tolerant to slight off-topics as long as people do not
 abuse the list. Your particular question will probably fit better
 in the TSV area, I'd try the TSVWG:

  http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/tsvwg-charter.html

 Regards
 
-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin/

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 13:04:15 -0700

Wenpeng,

 Regards

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 16:55:19 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Wenpeng
> I am novice to this discusssion forum, What kind of questions can be

Newbie questions are not encouraged on any IETF list but tolerated.

> or methods similar to RED to prevent congestion?

This is off topic for the routing area.

Briefly - some real time encapsulations are congestion aware and
reduce bandwidth of the encoding when loss is detected.  In other
cases where real time traffic is preferred over best effort, RED is
introduced to reduce the demand of elastic traffic (ie TCP).  For real
time encodings that don't reduce bandwidth when loss is introduced by
RED, adding a small amount of loss doesn't help.

For more detail you'll have to go elsewhere.  Try archives of int-serv
and diff-serv mailing lists and the IRTF end2end-interest list.

Curtis

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 16:55:19 -0400

Curtis