Subject: OSPFv3 link local address in Routing table

From: "Karthikeyan Subramaniam" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Apr 2003 03:49:45 -0000

Hi,

    From the RFC it is clear that nexthop address should be the 
link local address of all other routers attached to its links. And 
also these addresses are used as nexthop information during packet 
forwarding.

    But I have a doubt in the following scenario. Router R1  is 
connected to Router R2 through Link L1. Router R2 is inturn 
connected to Router R3 through Link L2. Let us assume Router R1 
originated Route 1 for area 1.

Also assume
  R1->L1 link local address as A,
  R2->L1 link local address as B,
  R2->L2 link local address as C,
  R3->L2 link local address as D.

All the routers are in Area 1

I want to know the nexthop information for Route1 in R3. Will the 
nexthop information will be A (Link local address)which originated 
the packet. If so, How Router 3 gets to know about the link 
information of Router 1 because link local address are not 
propagated beyond the link ?Otherwise, what will be nexthop 
information for Route1 does the Router3 will hold.

thanks,
karthik.

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion