Subject: stateless and stateful

From: Tulip Rasputin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 06:08:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,
What is the difference between the stateless restarts
and stateful restarts in the routing protocols (the
IGPs to be specific)

Wishes,
Rasputin

______________________________________________________________________ 
Post your free ad now! http://personals.yahoo.ca
_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: Vinay K Nallamothu <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Apr 2003 17:25:05 +0530

From what I understand

> What is the difference between the stateless restarts
Whenever the protocol daemon (the management plane) is restarted either
due to crash or planned upgrades, the route map database is lost and has
to be rebuilt from the scratch. While this process takes some time for
the route map to be in sync with the rest of the nodes.

Stateless restarts cause route flaps causing routing instabilities such
transient loops while the router takes time to resynchronize its the
routing database with its neighbors and compute the optimal paths.

> and stateful restarts in the routing protocols (the
In Statefull/Gracefull restart, the routing database and few other
information is retained across restart. To make this work, a graceful
restart capable router indicates others its capability to do so and

> IGPs to be specific)
route flapping causes OSPF to recompute the paths a CPU intensive
operation. 
http://www.saint2004.org/archives/wk4-ipv6/yasu_OSPF.pdf

vinay

---

From: Vinay K Nallamothu <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Apr 2003 17:25:05 +0530

From what I understand

vinay