Subject: Re: [Mtp] the more things change, the more they stay the same

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:03:49 -0700

>Can an application send a UDP or TCP based packet with router alert
>in the IP header without special privileges?

In the sockets interface, yes - the IP_OPTIONS socket option is not
privileged.

>Perhaps, though you can't simply remove "G" from the header. It has to
>be preserved somewhere.

Actually the model that Tom is talking about sounds kind of like
REUNITE (Infocom 2000), which just uses unicast address+port pairs
to identify multicast groups.

  Bill

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:45:35 -0700

>> to identify multicast groups.

    But then a multicast-capable router can't turn this join-request into a
    PIM Join to send upstream into the native-multicast topology.

Dino

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:45:35 -0700

Dino