Subject: FW: Open Routing Area meeting in Vienna

From: Mark Prior <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:27:28 +0930

------ Forwarded Message
From: Mark Prior <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:11:09 +0930
To: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Open Routing Area meeting in Vienna

On 1/8/03 8:58 AM, "Alex Zinin" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Could you please be kind and elaborate on your reasoning on the
> list? It would help a lot if folks knew what makes you feel certain
> way.
> 

As an operator, stability is priority #1. If the customer can't get work
done then they will soon be an ex-customer. This means that the network
needs to be there when they need it. They will put up with some poor
performance as long as they can get work done and they think the problem
will go away sooner rather than later. The extension to this is that
complexity is bad, as complexity and stability don't play well together. As
I work at a R&E network there is some level of requirement for bleeding edge
stuff and an acceptance that new stuff isn't always as robust as you would
like but it would be jetisoned pretty damn quick if it impacted the business
processes (note in our case we provide commodity and R&E access). Having
this new stuff separate from the production stuff is good and the more
separate the better.

Mark.

------ End of Forwarded Message

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: Mark Prior <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:27:28 +0930

------ Forwarded Message

Mark.