Subject: Re: Open Routing Area meeting in Vienna

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:01:39 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Craig Labovitz writes:
> 
> 
> So, inter-domain BGP convergence is linear with respect to the length
> of the longest possible ASPath. It is the complexity of the realized
> topology, and not intrinsic properties of the protocol implementation,
> that plays the largest role in convergence times.
> 
> - Craig

It is also NlogN to the number of prefixes becuase you have to insert
them into data structures that scale on single insert, delete, and
search operations logN to the number of entries.  With a single
operation taking logN time, N routes yield NlogN scaling.

Since another application of BGP would create a new number space it
would not matter if that number space was populated via a different
protocol or if the delivery of this information was via BGP.

A potential advantage of putting the new application outside of BGP is
that on some architectures you can crash the protocol implementation
running the other protocol and not impact BGP.  In the future it might
even reside on another processsor on large routers.  Ignoring this,
the risk is about as great adding to BGP or creating a new delivery
protocol.  Short of a crash, getting invalid information into the
stream which is less than gracefully but not catostrophicly rejected
by the receiver (ie: cause a cease) won't affect BGP if the delivery
is not BGP, but is likely to affect BGP if the delivery is BGP.

The perception seems to be that time to market is faster adding to
BGP, but risk is slightly higher adding to BGP.

Curtis

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:01:39 -0400

Curtis