Subject: RE: WG Last Call: three draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-*01 documents (fwd)

From: "Naidu, Venkata" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:03:11 -0400

-> I don't recall any documents published that say you can run BGP
-> over IPv6 TCP transport sessions.

  RFC 2545 published in March 1999.

Venkata.

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: "Naidu, Venkata" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:03:11 -0400

Venkata.

---

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:44:03 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Atanu Ghosh [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 9:57 AM
> To: Jeffrey Haas
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: WG Last Call: three draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-*01
> documents (fwd) 

> 2545 Use of BGP-4 Multiprotocol Extensions for IPv6 Inter-Domain
>      Routing. P. Marques, F. Dupont. March 1999. (Format: 
> TXT=10209 bytes)
>      (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)
> 
> 4. Transport
> 
>    TCP connections, on top of which BGP-4 messages are 
> exchanged, can be
>    established either over IPv4 or IPv6. While BGP-4 itself is ...

Yes, but, as of 2/98 anyway, when RFC 2238 was written:

------Quote from RFC 2238----------
3. Overview

   The only three pieces of information carried by BGP-4 that are IPv4
   specific are (a) the NEXT_HOP attribute (expressed as an IPv4
   address), (b) AGGREGATOR (contains an IPv4 address), and (c) NLRI
   (expressed as IPv4 address prefixes). This document assumes that any
   BGP speaker (including the one that supports multiprotocol
   capabilities defined in this document) has to have an IPv4 address
   (which will be used, among other things, in the AGGREGATOR
   attribute). Therefore, to enable BGP-4 to support routing for
   multiple Network Layer protocols the only two things that have to be
   added to BGP-4 are (a) the ability to associate a particular Network
   Layer protocol with the next hop information, and (b) the ability to
   associated a particular Network Layer protocol with NLRI. To identify
   individual Network Layer protocols this document uses Address Family,
   as defined in [RFC1700].
-----------------------------------

Isn't this the issue with BGP-4 and IPv6 that the ID was referring to?

Bert

---

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:44:03 -0400

------Quote from RFC 2238----------
3. Overview

Bert

---

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:30:20 +0100

> How can we work for improve the document?

Um, redraft it in a different format?

What is the document trying to achieve for whom?

I appreciate that a lot of work has produced a long list of places
where IPv4 addresses are used but so what?  The list is a mixture of
current standards, RFC that may have been useful once but are now all
but dead, RFC that have been superseded etc all mixed up together and
then divided into eight.  When there was one document, I could at
least search it, now I cannot even do that.

To be useable, I think that related information should be brought
together, so
that there is a single discussion of eg BGPv4 or SNMPv1 including
information from all the relevant RFC.  And there should be an
index, a separate document,  in  RFC order listing those documents
that have been worked on,
stating
whether or not there is a IPv4 dependency apparent in each and giving
cross-references to which part of which of the eight or more IDs  in
which I can then find the discussion thereof.

This is a complex area eg when a MIB RFC imports Textual
Conventions which give address formats from another, or where BGP is
extended to encompass other 'address' formats
As it stands, the output does not do justice to the work put in and I
do not feel inclined to refine it with detailed comments on particular
RFC (or
ID).

I do not think it/they are ready to be forwarded.

Tom Petch
**********************************
Madrid 2003 Global IPv6 Summit
Presentations and videos on line at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged
or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be
aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.