Subject: Fwd: Last Call for Nominees

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:39:41 -0800

In case some folks are not subscribed to the ietf-announce list.
-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin

This is a forwarded message
From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
To: IETF Announcement list <[email-masked]>
Cc: 
Date: Tuesday, November 16, 2004, 11:31:10 AM
Subject: Last Call for Nominees

===8<==============Original message text===============
Folks,
Only one week left, please send your nominations for open IESG
and IAB positions to [email-masked], many thanks to those of
you that have already provided feedback to the NomCom.

IESG members whose terms are up are:

Harald Alvestrand -- IETF Chair
Bill Fenner -- Routing Area
Ted Hardie -- Applications Area
Russ Housley -- Security Area
David Kessens -- Operations & Management Area
Thomas Narten -- Internet Area
Jon Peterson -- Transport Area

IAB members whose terms are up are:

Bernard Aboba
Rob Austein
Sally Floyd
Jun-ichiro Itojun Hagino
Mark Handley
Geoff Huston

The nomination period will end Tuesday, November 23, 2004.

Any member of the IETF community may nominate any member of the
IETF community for any position. Self-nominations are permitted and
encouraged.

Likewise, if you have any feedback regarding current incumbents, please
send it to [email-masked].

IAB desired qualifications can be found here:

http://www.iab.org/documents/docs/2004-10-21-iab-quals.html

IESG qualifications are included below.

Thanks!

-danny

IESG Desired Qualifications

With the adoption of the new Nominations Committee procedures defined
in RFC 3777, the IESG is responsible for providing a summary of the
expertise desired of the candidates selected for open IESG positions.
This information is included below, and is suitable for publication to
the community, along with the Nomination Committee's request for
nominations.

We realize that this is a long list of demanding qualifications, and
that no one person will be able meet all of the requirements for a
specific position. We trust that the NomCom will weigh all of these
qualifications and choose IESG members who represent the best possible
balance of these qualifications.

Generic Requirements:

IESG members are the managers of the IETF standards process. This
means that they must understand the way the IETF works, be good at
working with other people, be able to inspire and encourage other
people to work together on a volunteer basis, and have sound technical
judgment about IETF technology.

ADs select and directly manage the WG chairs, so IESG members should
possess sufficient interpersonal and management skills to manage
~15-30 part-time people. Most ADs are also responsible for one or
more directorates or review teams. So the ability to identify good
leaders and technical experts and recruit them for IETF work is
required. Having been a WG chair helps in understanding the WG chair
role, and will help in resolving problems and issues that a WG chair
may have.

In addition, all IESG members should have strong technical expertise
that crosses two or three IETF areas. Ideally, an IESG member would
have made significant technical contributions in more than one IETF
area, preferably authoring documents and/or chairing WGs in more than
one area.

IESG members are expected to make sure that every document coming
before the IESG is properly reviewed. Although IESG members may
delegate the actual review to individuals or review teams, the IESG
members will need to understand and represent the reviewers'
objections or comments. So the ability and willingness to read and
understand complex information quickly is another important attribute
in an IESG member.

It is helpful for an IESG member to have a good working knowledge of
the IETF document process and WG creation and chartering process.
This knowledge is most likely to be found in experienced IETF WG
chairs, but may also be found in authors of multiple documents.

IESG members must also have strong verbal and written communications
skills and a proven track record of leading and contributing to the
consensus of diverse groups.

A few comments on the IESG role:

Serving on the IESG requires a substantial time commitment. The basic
IESG activities consume between 25 and 40 hours per week (varying by
area and by month, with the most time required immediately before IETF
meetings). Most IESG members also participate in additional IETF
leadership activities, further increasing the time commitment for
those individuals. It is also imperative that IESG members attend all
IETF meetings and up to two additional IESG retreats per year.
Because of the large time and travel commitments, employer support is
essential for an IESG member.

Applications Area:

The Applications Area focuses on applications that run across the
Internet and require some sort of standardized infrastructure to be
effective. This includes, but is not limited to: E-Mail, instant
messaging systems, Web protocols, Directory services, printing
services and NetNews.

The Applications area often discusses whether something is properly
the realm of the IETF or "belongs" to other organizations. Because of
this, and Applications AD needs to be willing and able to relate to a
wide range of non-IETF organizations. An Applications AD also needs
to be someone that we can trust to make these critical decisions about
the scope of the IETF's work.

Because of the breadth of the Applications area, an Application AD
will have to deal with a large set of Internet applications protocols,
including many with which he or she may not have direct experience.
So, an Applications AD needs to be good at evaluating new approaches
to new problems and assessing the expertise of the people who bring
them to the IETF

Because the set of people in the Applications Area changes with the
protocols currently under development, the ability to clearly explain
how the IETF works, and to help new WGs work well within the IETF
framework is also important.

The Applications Area most often intersects with, and sometimes swaps
working groups or work items with, the Security Area (for
application-level security, or applications where security is an
important aspect) and the Transport Area (for issues with congestion
in applications, or interfacing with the multimedia and SIP WGs that
have traditionally been homed in Transport), so cross-area expertise
in either of these areas would be particularly useful.

Internet Area:

The primary technical areas covered by the Internet area include:
IP(v4 & v6), DNS, Host & Router Configuration, Mobility and Link-Layer
Security. The Internet Area is also responsible for defining how IP
will run over new link layer protocols as they are defined.

Internet ADs are expected to have a solid understanding of IPv4 and
IPv6, MTU and fragmentation related issues, various types of IP
addressing, IP forwarding and IP tunneling.

The Internet area has one of the broadest ranges of technical topics.
It has been typical of the Internet area to have its two Area
Directors divide the topics they specialize in, because it is too much
to expect that both ADs will have a very strong command of DNS,
Mobility, VPNs, IPv6, DHCP, Network Access Control and various
link-layer technologies. The NomCom should consider the skills of the
sitting Internet Area Director and look for technical balance with
even more care than in other areas.

The Internet area intersects most frequently with the Routing Area
(particularly for IP Forwarding and Multicast), the Operations &
Management Area (for MIB development & Link-layer security mechanisms
(AAA/RADIUS)) and the Security Area (for IPsec and IKE). So,
cross-area expertise in any of those areas would be particularly
useful.

Operations & Management Area:

The primary technical areas covered by the Operations & Management
area include: Network Management, AAA, DNS and various operational
issues facing the Internet (DNS operations, IPv6 operations, Routing
operations).

Unlike most IETF areas, the Operations & Management area is logically
divided into two separate functions: Network Management and
Operations. David Kessens is responsible for the Operations portion
of the OPS area, so specific expertise required for the 2005 open
position would include a strong understanding of Internet operations
and a solid standing in the Internet operator community.

The Operations AD is largely responsible for soliciting operator
feedback and input regarding IETF work. This is a challenging task
that requires strong contacts in the operations community and a great
deal of persistence.

Another important role of the Operations AD is to identify potential
or actual operational issues regarding IETF protocols and documents in
all areas, and to work with the other areas to resolve those issues.
This requires a strong understanding of how new and updated protocols
may affect operations, and the ability to gather information from the
operations community and translate that information into suggestions
for protocol architecture and design within the IETF. It also
requires a strong cross-area understanding of IETF protocol
architecture and technologies.

The Operations portion of the OPS area intersects most often with the
Routing, Internet and Security areas. So, cross-area expertise in any
of those areas would be particularly useful.

Routing Area:

The Routing Area is responsible for ensuring continuous operational
status of the Internet routing system by maintaining the scalability
and stability characteristics of the existing routing protocols, as
well as developing new protocols, extensions, and bug fixes in a
timely manner.

In particular, forwarding methods (such as destination-based unicast
and multicast forwarding, and MPLS), as well as associated routing and
signalling protocols (e.g., OSPF, IS-IS, BGP, RSVP-TE, PIM) are within
the scope of the Routing Area. The Area also works on Generalized MPLS
used in the control plane of optical networks and on security aspects
of the routing system.

A Routing AD is required to have solid knowledge of the Internet
routing system and its operations and must be proficient in at least
one of the mainstream routing protocols/technologies such as BGP,
OSPF, IS-IS, MPLS, GMPLS, or multicast. Implementation and deployment
experience, as well as significant contributions to the WGs in the
area are highly desirable.

The Routing area intersects most frequently with the Internet Area
(particularly for IP Forwarding and Multicast), the Operations &
Management Area (for MIB development) and the Security Area (for
Routing Protocol security). So, cross-area expertise in any of those
areas would be particularly useful.

Security Area:

The WGs within the Security Area are primarily focused on security
protocols. They provide one or more of the security services:
integrity, authentication, non-repudiation, confidentiality, and
access control. Since many of the security mechanisms needed to
provide these security services are cryptographic, key management is
also vital.

Security ADs are expected to ensure that all IETF specifications are
reviewed for adequate security coverage. They also manage a set of
security resources that are available to most IETF areas and WGs.

Specific expertise required for a Security AD would include a strong
knowledge of IETF security protocols, particularly IPsec, IKE, and
TLS, and a good working knowledge of security protocols and mechanisms
that have been developed inside and outside the IETF, most notably
including PKI.

Also, a Security AD should understand how to weigh the security
requirements of a protocol against operational and implementation
requirements. We must be pragmatic; otherwise people will not
implement and deploy the secure protocols that the IETF standardizes.

The Security Area intersects with all other IETF areas, and its ADs
are expected to read and understand the security implications of
documents in all areas. So, broad knowledge of IETF technologies and
the ability to assimilate new information quickly are imperative for a
Security AD.

Transport Area:

The primary technical areas covered by the Transport area include:
Transport Protocols (TCP, UDP, SCTP), Congestion Control, NFS, IP
Telephony, SIP, and Signalling.

A Transport AD should have a good understanding of congestion control,
flow control, real-time transport protocols and other transport-level
issues that affect application layer protocols. These basic transport
skills should also be augmented by strong interest and skills in
multimedia, VoIP, SIP, and such issues as NAT and identity.

The Transport area intersects most frequently with Internet Area, the
Applications Area and the Security Area. So, cross-area expertise in
any of those areas would be particularly useful.

The Transport area is the largest IETF area, both in number of WGs to
manage (26) and in the number of documents in progress. A Transport
AD must be prepared to invest more time than the average AD, just to
fulfill the basic requirements of the position.

IETF Chair:

The IETF Chair has four major roles: Representing the IETF to the
outside world, overseeing the work of the IETF as a whole, overseeing
the work of the IESG in particular, and serving as the General area
director.

Serving as IETF Chair is currently a full-time job. So, a candidate
for this position needs to be willing to put aside his or her own
technical work and other major professional roles for at least a
two-year period.

The IETF Chair is asked to speak at numerous conferences and to
represent the IETF to government officials, representatives of other
standards bodies and the press. While the IETF Chair has control over
which of these invitations he or she accepts, any candidate for this
position should be willing and able to represent the IETF effectively
in these fora.

Chairing the IETF requires excellent communications skills, strong
leadership skills and the ability and willingness to keep the
community informed of all issues that are important to the IETF as a
whole, to establish community consensus on those issues and to speak
and act in accordance with that consensus. Among other things, this
involves working with the IAB Chair to plan plenary sessions and
effectively running meetings with over 1000 attendees.

In the IESG chair role, the IETF chair is responsible for coordinating
the activities of the other twelve Area Directors and providing
top-level management for the IETF standards process. The IETF chair
must be capable of intervening when difficulties arise between ADs or
between an AD and a WG chair. The IETF Chair also oversees the
handling of appeals sent to the IESG, the mechanisms for IESG internal
process change, and the production of any statements issued by the
IESG.

The IETF Chair also currently serves as the IETF's main contact point
with the IETF Secretariat, and works together with the IAB chair and
the ISOC President to manages the relationship with the RFC Editor.
It should be noted that this aspect of the IETF Chair role may change
significantly due to the Administrative Restructuring effort.

The General Area consists of a few IETF WGs and other activities
focused on supporting, updating and maintaining the IETF's standards
development process. As General AD, the IETF chair should meet the
general requirements for an IESG member (listed above), and is
expected to play a full role in IESG document review and approval. The
General AD must also have a strong understanding of the IETF standards
process and a commitment to maintain and improve that process in a
careful and open manner.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

===8<===========End of original message text===========

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion