Subject: Do routers learn?

From: "Arturo Servin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:09:35 +0100

I am aware that this question may be outside the scope of this
mailing list but I could not find any other place to ask about it. So, my
apologies for that.

            I am writing an essay about Machine Learning, Multiagent Systems
and Networks. When I was thinking about how routers share routing
information and how they learn to route this question come to me. From a
Machine Learning or from an artificial intelligence point of view, do
routers really learn?

            It very common for us the network guys to say that a router is
learning routes, but, it is acceptable in the AI field this concept or
learning? I was trying to find some papers that discuss the topic but I
could not. If you knew some or if you could point me to the right forum to
ask these questions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

-as

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

---

From: "Zafar Ali \(zali\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 08:55:25 -0400

________________________________

	From: Arturo Servin [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 6:10 AM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: Do routers learn?

	            I am aware that this question may be outside the
scope of this mailing list but I could not find any other place to ask
about it. So, my apologies for that.

	            I am writing an essay about Machine Learning,
Multiagent Systems and Networks. When I was thinking about how routers
share routing information and how they learn to route this question come
to me. From a Machine Learning or from an artificial intelligence point
of view, do routers really learn?

IMHO no. All decisions are deterministic. If it does not know a route,
there is no inteligence or guess work involved. At least in present
implementations :-) 

Thanks

Regards... Zafar 

	            It very common for us the network guys to say that a
router is learning routes, but, it is acceptable in the AI field this
concept or learning? I was trying to find some papers that discuss the
topic but I could not. If you knew some or if you could point me to the
right forum to ask these questions I would really appreciate it.

	Thanks in advance,

	-as