Subject: Re: Call for Routing Area Agenda Topics for IETF 68

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:29:44 +0100

Ross,

> If you have any topics that you would like to present, or have discussed
> at The Routing Area Open Meeting at IETF 68 in Prague, then please
> send email to Bill, Bruno, and I.

The final agenda for the meeting contains the following topic :

5. Thoughts on Improving Inter-Domain Routing (Dave Ward, John Scudder,
30 minutes)
        - ideas for improving scaling, convergence, ...

I won't unfortunately be able to attend the Routing Area meeting, but if
BGP convergence is being discussed during the meeting, I think that the
IETF should consider to handle the failures of BGP peering links by
using local restoration techniques as currently used in MPLS-based
networks and developped for pure IP-based networks within the RTG WG.
Such techniques can be extended to protect BGP peering links as well as
proposed in the following paper :

Achieving sub-50 milliseconds recovery upon BGP peering link failures
Olivier Bonaventure, Clarence Filsfils, Pierre Francois
Co-Next 2005, October 24-27 2005, Toulouse, France
http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/people/OBO/papers/f41-bonaventure.pdf

If there is an interest in developing such techniques to protect BGP
peering links within IETF, we would be ready to contribute to IETF drafts.

Best regards,

Olivier Bonaventure

-- 
CSE Dept. UCL, Belgium - http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~obo

_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion