Subject: Resend: RANGER BOF - call for participation

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 10:33:22 -0800

Please see below for a resend of the IETF74 RANGER BOF
call for participation, including a link for subscribing
to the [email-masked]' list which is now active. Please
post further discussion to [email-masked]'.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Templin, Fred L 
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 1:21 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Int-area] RANGER BOF - call for participation

A community of interest is being formed to gauge
whether there is sufficient interest to host a BOF
on "Routing and Addressing in Next-Generation
EnteRprises (RANGER)" at IETF74.

Please see below for proposed BOF agenda, and comment
on the RRG and int-area lists while we wait for the
ranger list to come up.

Fred Templin
[email-masked]

Routing and Addressing in Next-Generation EnteRprises (RANGER) BOF
===================================================================

Chairs:  TBD

Reponsible AD:  TBD (INT Area; Routing Area)

Mailing List:  ranger at ietf.org
To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ranger
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ranger

Duration:  2 hours

Expected Attendance: 50

Conflicts: LISP BOF, NAT66 BOF, int-area open meeting,
           IRTF rrg meeting

Summary
=======

RANGER [1] is a scalable architecture for routing and
addressing in next-generation enterprise networks, where
an "enterprise" [2] can be as small as a SOHO network,
as dynamic as a Mobile Ad-hoc Network (MANET) [3] or as
large as the global Internet itself [4]. The architecture
is manifested through Virtual Enterprise Traversal (VET)
[5], in which IP-in-IP encapsulation provides a virtual
view of each enterprise as a Non-Broadcast, Multiple-
Access (NBMA) link.

RANGER is recursive, in that multiple enterprises can be
joined together in a nested "enterprise-within-enterprise"
fashion. In this way, the same RANGER principles that
apply in lower levels of recursion can extend upwards
to parent enterprises and ultimately to the core of the
global Internet itself. Furthermore, it is also worth
considering whether today's global Internet represents a
limiting condition for recursion, or if other Internets
could be manifested as "parallel universes" and joined
together at still higher levels of recursion.

The RANGER architecture is manifested through composite
technologies including Virtual Enterprise Traversal (VET),
the Subnetwork Encapsulation and Adaptation Layer (SEAL)
[6], the Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol
(ISATAP) [7], and many others. Noting that combinations
with other technologies are also possible, the issues
addressed either in full or in part by RANGER include:

- IPv6/IPv4 coexistence and transition
- scalable routing and addressing
- provider-independent addressing and its
  relation to provide-aggregated addressing
- site mobility and multi-homing
- ingress filtering for multi-homed sites
- address and prefix autoconfiguration
- border router discovery
- router-to-router tunneling
- neighbor discovery over tunnels
- MTU determination for tunnels.

As seen in the above list, the RANGER architecture
provides a framework for addressing a broad range of
problem areas that currently limit the functionality,
growth and maturation of today's Internet. Therefore,
it is the purpose of this BOF to discuss the formation
of an IETF WG to produce the following work items:

1) An Informational RFC describing the RANGER architecture.
   This document to provide a high-level overview of the
   RANGER enterprise-within-enterprise framework, its
   constituent technologies, and its domain of
   applicability.

2) An RFC specification of Virtual Enterprise Traversal
   (VET). This document to specify the inner workings of
   IP-in-IP encapsulation and its associated mechanisms
   within the RANGER context.

3) An RFC specification of the Subnetwork Encapsulation
   and Adaptation Layer (SEAL). This document to specify
   an encapsulation sublayer used to provide enhanced
   packet identification and tunnel MTU robustness.

4) Other work items within scope as determined, e.g.,
   by working group/BOF consensus, etc.

Agenda
======

- Administrivia (Chairs, 5 min)

- Purpose of BOF (Chairs, 10 min) [see above]

- Routing and Addressing in Next Generation EnteRprises
  (RANGER) (20 min)

- Virtual Enterprise Traversal (VET) (20 min)

- Subnetwork Encapsulation and Adaptation Layer (SEAL)
  (20 min)

- Proposed Charter (Chairs, 10 min)

- Questions/Next Steps (Chairs, 30 min)

Documents:
==========

[1] Templin, F., "Routing and Addressing in Next-Generation
    EnteRprises (RANGER), 'draft-templin-ranger',
    work-in-progress, January 2009.

[2] Bound, J., et. al., "IPv6 Enterprise Network Analysis -
    IP Layer 3 Focus", IETF RFC 4852, April 2007.

[3] Corson, S., et. al., "Mobile Ad hoc Networking (MANET):
    Routing Protocol Performance Issues and Evaluation
    Considerations", IETF RFC 2501, January 1999.

[4] IRTF Routing Research Group, http://www.irtf.org/rrg

[5] Templin, F., "Virtual Enterprise Traversal (VET)",
    'draft-templin-autoconf-dhcp', work-in-progress,
    January 2009.

[6] Templin, F., "Subnetwork Encapsulation and Adaptation
    Layer (SEAL)", 'draft-templin-seal', work-in-progress,
    December 2009.

[7] Templin, F., et. al., "Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel
    Addressing Protocol (ISATAP)", IETF RFC 5214, March 2008. 
_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area
_______________________________________________
routing-discussion mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/routing-discussion

Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 04:44:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Sudip Misra <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Book -- GUIDE TO WIRELESS MESH NETWORKS (Springer)
To: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

GUIDE TO WIRELESS MESH NETWORKS

S. Misra, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India; S.C. Misra, Stat=
e University of New York, NY, USA; I. Woungang, Ryerson University, ON, Can=
ada (Eds.)

2009. XVI, 527 p. 190 illus. (Computer Communications and Networks) Hardcov=
er
* 69,95 =E2=82=AC
* $89.95
* SFr. 116.50
* =C2=A345.00
ISBN 978-1-84800-908-0

Wireless mesh networks (WMN) is considered to be a key technology for futur=
e generation wireless networks. However even though WMNs hold great promise=
s for our future, there are several challenges that need to be addressed. T=
his handbook provides a comprehensive guide on new ideas and results in wir=
eless mesh networks research. Written by some of the prominent researchers =
in this field, this book provides an invaluable reference to the state-of-t=
he-art in WMS for researchers and practitioners. It is also an
ideal text for graduate students wishing to learn more about the topic.... =
more on http://springer.com/978-1-84800-908-0
* Provides a comprehensive overview of the state-of-the-art on the hot topi=
c of wireless mesh networks=20
* The reader-friendly style includes discussions for practitioners,
directions for future research, a list of terms and definitions and summary=
 questions within chapters to support the reader=20
* Written by prominent researchers within the
field=20
* Each chapter contains in-depth discussion sections on thoughts for practi=
tioners and directions for future research=20
* Includes a list of important terms and their definitions for each chapter=
=20
* Offers a set of ten questions (both numeric and nonnumeric) that will hel=
p readers to assess their understanding of the various concepts at
the end of each chapter=20
* Supplementary PowerPoint slides are available

More on http://springer.com/978-1-84800-908-0

Available for purchase from:

Springer.com
http://www.springer.com/computer/communications/book/978-1-84800-908-0

Amazon.com (US customers):=20
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Wireless-Networks-Computer-Communications/dp/18=
48009089/ref=3Dsr_1_4?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1231570113&sr=3D8-4

Amazon.ca (Canadian customers):
http://www.amazon.ca/Guide-Wireless-Networks-Sudip-Misra/dp/1848009089/ref=
=3Dpd_rhf_p_t_1

Amazon.co.uk (UK Customers):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Wireless-Networks-Computer-Communications/dp/=
1848009089

Amazon.de (German customers):
http://www.amazon.de/Guide-Wireless-Networks-Computer-Communications/dp/ima=
ges/1848009089

Amazon.co.jp (Japanese customers):
http://www.amazon.co.jp/Guide-Wireless-Networks-Computer-Communications/dp/=
1848009089/ref=3Dsr_1_1?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Denglish-books&qid=3D1231570922&sr=3D8=
-1

Chapters.indigo.ca (Canadian customers):
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Guide-to-Wireless-Mesh-Networks-Sudip-M=
isra/9781848009080-item.html?ref=3DSearch+Books%3a+%2527sudip+misra%2527&st=
erm=3Dsudip+misra+-+Books

Powell's books:
https://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9781848009080-0

Hotbooksale.com:
https://www.hotbooksale.com/p732766/Guide-to-Wireless-Mesh-Networks.html

Infibeam.com (Indian customers):
http://www.infibeam.com/Books/info/Sudip-Misra/Guide-to-Wireless-Mesh-Netwo=
rks/1848009089.html

Bestwebbuys.com
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Guide_to_Wireless_Mesh_Networks-ISBN_97818480090=
80.html?isrc=3Db-search

Biggerbooks.com
http://www.biggerbooks.com/bk_detail.aspx?ISBN=3D9781848009080

Booktopia.com
http://www.booktopia.com.au/guide-to-wireless-mesh-networks/prod97818480090=
80.html

Allbookstores.com
http://www.allbookstores.com/book/9781848009080/Sudip_Misra/Guide_To_Wirele=
ss_Mesh_Networks.html

=0A=0A=0A      

Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 04:47:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Sudip Misra <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Book -- GUIDE TO WIRELESS MESH NETWORKS (Springer)
To: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

GUIDE TO WIRELESS MESH NETWORKS

S. Misra, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India; S.C. Misra, Stat=
e University of New York, NY, USA; I. Woungang, Ryerson University, ON, Can=
ada (Eds.)

2009. XVI, 527 p. 190 illus. (Computer Communications and Networks) Hardcov=
er
* 69,95 =E2=82=AC
* $89.95
* SFr. 116.50
* =C2=A345.00
ISBN 978-1-84800-908-0

Wireless mesh networks (WMN) is considered to be a key technology for futur=
e generation wireless networks. However even though WMNs hold great promise=
s for our future, there are several challenges that need to be addressed. T=
his handbook provides a comprehensive guide on new ideas and results in wir=
eless mesh networks research. Written by some of the prominent researchers =
in this field, this book provides an invaluable reference to the state-of-t=
he-art in WMS for researchers and practitioners. It is also an
ideal text for graduate students wishing to learn more about the topic.... =
more on http://springer.com/978-1-84800-908-0
* Provides a comprehensive overview of the state-of-the-art on the hot topi=
c of wireless mesh networks=20
* The reader-friendly style includes discussions for practitioners,
directions for future research, a list of terms and definitions and summary=
 questions within chapters to support the reader=20
* Written by prominent researchers within the
field=20
* Each chapter contains in-depth discussion sections on thoughts for practi=
tioners and directions for future research=20
* Includes a list of important terms and their definitions for each chapter=
=20
* Offers a set of ten questions (both numeric and nonnumeric) that will hel=
p readers to assess their understanding of the various concepts at
the end of each chapter=20
* Supplementary PowerPoint slides are available

More on http://springer.com/978-1-84800-908-0

Available for purchase from:

Springer.com
http://www.springer.com/computer/communications/book/978-1-84800-908-0

Amazon.com (US customers):=20
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Wireless-Networks-Computer-Communications/dp/18=
48009089/ref=3Dsr_1_4?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1231570113&sr=3D8-4

Amazon.ca (Canadian customers):
http://www.amazon.ca/Guide-Wireless-Networks-Sudip-Misra/dp/1848009089/ref=
=3Dpd_rhf_p_t_1

Amazon.co.uk (UK Customers):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Wireless-Networks-Computer-Communications/dp/=
1848009089

Amazon.de (German customers):
http://www.amazon.de/Guide-Wireless-Networks-Computer-Communications/dp/ima=
ges/1848009089

Amazon.co.jp (Japanese customers):
http://www.amazon.co.jp/Guide-Wireless-Networks-Computer-Communications/dp/=
1848009089/ref=3Dsr_1_1?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Denglish-books&qid=3D1231570922&sr=3D8=
-1

Chapters.indigo.ca (Canadian customers):
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Guide-to-Wireless-Mesh-Networks-Sudip-M=
isra/9781848009080-item.html?ref=3DSearch+Books%3a+%2527sudip+misra%2527&st=
erm=3Dsudip+misra+-+Books

Powell's books:
https://www.powells.com/biblio/72-9781848009080-0

Hotbooksale.com:
https://www.hotbooksale.com/p732766/Guide-to-Wireless-Mesh-Networks.html

Infibeam.com (Indian customers):
http://www.infibeam.com/Books/info/Sudip-Misra/Guide-to-Wireless-Mesh-Netwo=
rks/1848009089.html

Bestwebbuys.com
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Guide_to_Wireless_Mesh_Networks-ISBN_97818480090=
80.html?isrc=3Db-search

Biggerbooks.com
http://www.biggerbooks.com/bk_detail.aspx?ISBN=3D9781848009080

Booktopia.com
http://www.booktopia.com.au/guide-to-wireless-mesh-networks/prod97818480090=
80.html

Allbookstores.com
http://www.allbookstores.com/book/9781848009080/Sudip_Misra/Guide_To_Wirele=
ss_Mesh_Networks.html

=0A=0A=0A      

Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Subject: FW: I-D Action:draft-templin-ranger-07.txt 
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:48:39 -0800
From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
To: "RRG" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,  <[email-masked]>

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C988C6.3320B160
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

FYI, the RANGER specification has been updated based
on review input (see below). Comments to the list or
to the author welcome.

Fred Templin
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]=20
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2009 5:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-templin-ranger-07.txt=20

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Routing and Addressing in Next-Generation
EnteRprises (RANGER)
	Author(s)       : F. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-ranger-07.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2009-02-06

RANGER is an architectural framework for scalable routing and
addressing in next generation enterprise networks.  The term
"enterprise network" within this context extends to a wide variety of
use cases and deployment scenarios, where an "enterprise" can be as
small as a SOHO network, as dynamic as a Mobile Ad-hoc Network, as
complex as a multi-organizational corporation, or as large as the
global Internet itself.  Such networks will require an architected
solution for the coordination of routing and addressing plans with
accommodations for scalability, provider-independence, mobility,
multi-homing and security.  These considerations are particularly
true for existing deployments, but the same principles apply even for
clean-slate approaches.  The RANGER architecture addresses these
requirements, and provides a comprehensive framework for IPv6/IPv4
coexistence.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-ranger-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C988C6.3320B160
Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
	name="draft-templin-ranger-07.URL"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Description: draft-templin-ranger-07.URL
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="draft-templin-ranger-07.URL"

W0ludGVybmV0U2hvcnRjdXRdDQpVUkw9ZnRwOi8vZnRwLmlldGYub3JnL2ludGVybmV0LWRyYWZ0
cy9kcmFmdC10ZW1wbGluLXJhbmdlci0wNy50eHQNCg==

------_=_NextPart_001_01C988C6.3320B160
Content-Type: text/plain;
	name="ATT6591595.txt"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Description: ATT6591595.txt
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="ATT6591595.txt"

X19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX18NCkktRC1Bbm5v
dW5jZSBtYWlsaW5nIGxpc3QNCkktRC1Bbm5vdW5jZUBpZXRmLm9yZw0KaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaWV0
Zi5vcmcvbWFpbG1hbi9saXN0aW5mby9pLWQtYW5ub3VuY2UNCkludGVybmV0LURyYWZ0IGRpcmVj
dG9yaWVzOiBodHRwOi8vd3d3LmlldGYub3JnL3NoYWRvdy5odG1sDQpvciBmdHA6Ly9mdHAuaWV0
Zi5vcmcvaWV0Zi8xc2hhZG93LXNpdGVzLnR4dA0K

------_=_NextPart_001_01C988C6.3320B160--