Subject: Where to find on-line xml2rfc and IETF bibxml content

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 15:56:09 -0400

For those trying to use xml.resource.org for getting drafts out and
suffering issues with the bibxml content...

A functional on-line version is at http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, May 22, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Subject: Henrik Levkowetz: Re: [xml2rfc] New xml2rfc release: 2.4.7
To: [email-masked]

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Cc: XML2RFC Interest Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 21:14:51 +0200
Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] New xml2rfc release: 2.4.7
Hi Michael,

On 2014-05-22 20:44 Michael Richardson said the following:
>
> Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]> wrote:
>     > from:
>
>     > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/xml2rfc
>     > http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc2/cli/
>
>     > The purpose of this release, coming right on the heels of 2.4.6, is
>     > to add knowledge of alternative bibxml repositories, given that the
>     > usual site xml.resource.org is currently down.
>
>     > For full details on all tickets, there's always the issue tracker:
>     > http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/report/.  An excerpt
>     > from the changelog is available below.
>
> Perhaps you could remind me/us/the community-at-large on how to avoid
> embedding xml.resources.org in our ENTITY definitions.  I think that we had
> no choice with the 1.x tool... but things evolve and get better.

Yes.  In the 2.x.x series, you can write any of these (a bare reference
file name, a file name with correct relative path, and a fully qualified
URL):

<!ENTITY RFC3552 SYSTEM "reference.RFC.3552.xml">
<!ENTITY RFC3552 SYSTEM "public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.3552.xml">
<!ENTITY RFC3552 SYSTEM
"http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.3552.xml">

Additionally, you can keep or omit the '.xml' extension -- 2.x.x will
try without, and then with, if needed, if you don't give '.xml'.

For the first two above, 2.4.7 will first try to resolve the reference from
cache, then from the local file system, then from the 3 internet hosts
mentioned in the release notes.

Finally, what 2.4.7 will do, in addition to trying the 3 host names
in the release notes when you give a bare name or a relative path, is
to try to replace 'xml.resource.org' as hostname in the full URL with
xml2rfc.ietf.org and xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org, in order to find something
which is reachable.

I'm not sure the last approach is a good thing long-term, but to get us
past the current situation without upsetting the lives of all draft
writers, I thought it might help.

> I didn't realize until I read this that the ideas on from this list may
> already be implemented...

I'm afraid I've been under such a deluge of work lately that I haven't
managed to follow the list properly :-(

Best regards,

        Henrik

_______________________________________________
xml2rfc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc