Subject: Managing change

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 14:29:44 +0100

As I sit at the airport on my way home (a loose term used to describe somewhere
I wash clothes in between flights) I first want to thank you all for the
constructive debate about the ADs' proposals/plans for tuning the
work-distribution in the Area.

I hope that, on reflection, you do not feel that our suggestions are too radical
or extreme, and I want to reiterate that we are not eliminating any work from
the Area.

We plan to allow a little time for this to settle and to let all of you (but
perhaps especially those who were not physically present) to send further
comments by email.

Change can be disruptive, and it is important to make this change as painless as
possible. It would be highly ironic if changes intended to streamline work, make
delivery more timely, and increase quality had the opposite effects. So please
note that until the changes come into effect, everything goes on as normal.
There is absolutely no reason for any work to be delayed or deferred pending the
changes.

Over the next few weeks, Alia and I will make a first stab at:
1. Drafting new charters
2. Indicating which WGs existing WG I-Ds would go to
3. Discussing with chairs what WGs they might chair going forward.

We hope to keep you all in the loop, but will strive to not be a distraction
from "work as usual".

Thanks,
Adrian