Subject: In rtgarea, presentation of ANRP winning paper on OpenNF

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 18:08:45 -0400

Hi Routing Area,

This IETF we have a special presentation by Aaron Gember-Jacobson who won
the
Applied Network Research Prize (ANRP) for his paper "OpenNF: Enabling
Innovation in Network Function Control".   I'm very pleased that he is able
to come to IETF and discuss his work.

His paper can be found at
http://agember.com/docs/gember-jacobson2014opennf.pdf and the abstract is
below.

"Network functions virtualization (NFV) together with software-defined
networking (SDN) has the potential to help operators satisfy tight service
level agreements, accurately monitor and manipulate network traffic, and
minimize operating expenses. However, in scenarios that require packet
processing to be redistributed across a collection of network function (NF)
instances, simultaneously achieving all three goals requires a framework
that provides effi- cient, coordinated control of both internal NF state
and network forwarding state. To this end, we design a control plane called
OpenNF. We use carefully designed APIs and a clever combination of events
and forwarding updates to address race conditions, bound overhead, and
accommodate a variety of NFs. Our evaluation shows that OpenNF offers
efficient state control without compromising flexibility, and requires
modest additions to NFs."

Details about the ANRP are at https://irtf.org/anrp.

See you in Dallas,
Alia