Subject: Routing Area Yang Architecture Design Team chartered

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:37:00 -0400

I have chartered a Routing Area Yang Architecture design team as described
below.
The design team has a private mailing list and can be reached at
[email-masked].  There is also a wiki page at
http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/rtg/trac/wiki/RtgYangArchDT where the
design team will have interactive work.

Routing Area Yang Architecture Design Team Charter

With the increase of YANG models, it is desirable to have an
architecture that can suggest and articulate common functionality to be
used by multiple models and how the models interconnect.  Some
individual work has been done in this space and the design team is
encouraged to consider such input.  Although this is a concern across
the entire scope of YANG models, this design team is focused on the
question of providing an architecture for the protocols and
functionality contained inside the Routing Area.  This may identify
additional desirable models and common functionality; those suggestions
can be raised in Netmod.

Common conventions and use of YANG functionality in similar ways can
help make the interactions of models easier to understand.  RFC 6087
provides some guidance; an update is underway now in
draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis.  If the design team has recommendations
for how the models should be written, those which are not
routing-specific can be written down and discussed in netmod as part of
a planned update of RFC 6087.

It is also important to consider how future extensibility and features
in Routing Area work will need to be captured in YANG models.  While
the IETF is busy developing YANG models, we are still working on new
routing area features and technology.  The design team should publish
and maintain best current practices for how new features can easily
augment existing YANG models so that authors of those new features and
technologies can understand how to consider YANG modeling in their
manageability considerations.

This design team will write one or more internet-drafts describing the
proposed architecture of the models, the recommended common
conventions, and considerations for how to model new features.  The
architecture is the highest priority.  The design team will address
all the aspects of the routing area modeling: from configuration, to
operational state, notifications, and RPCs.  This design team will
regularly coordinate with the YANG doctors for review and advice.
These drafts will be discussed in RTGWG.  It is possible that some of
the content, such as the details of the architecture, will go to a
wiki to be updated while other content, such as advice for extensions
and common conventions, would be published by IETF consensus.

Design team members
    Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
    Anees Shaikh <[email-masked]>
    Christian Hopps <[email-masked]>
    Dean Bogdanovic <[email-masked]>
    Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
    Qin Wu <[email-masked]>
    Rob Shakir <[email-masked]>
    Stephane Litkowski <[email-masked]>
    Yan Gang <[email-masked]>

Regards,
Alia