Subject: Update on "Challenges for the Internet Routing Infrastructure Introduced by Changes"

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 10:03:26 -0000

Hi all,

We received some excellent feedback on this list (thanks) about
draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing and posted an update at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing/

The changes are a work in progress, but we have tried to structure the draft
a bit better, and we have included quite a few more topics and references
that we have collected.

To recap, the draft presents a brief survey of technologies related to IP
address semantic proposals and describes the challenges to the existing
routing system that they present. It then summarizes the opportunities for
research into new or modified routing protocols to make use of new address
semantics. It does not pass comment on the advisability or practicality of
any of the solutions.

The intention, therefore, is to try to get a broad view of the work that has
been done, is in hand, and needs to be done. The document is not attempting
a detailed technical analysis, and is not proposing technical solutions.

Although we're still seeing this as IRTF work, we would really appreciate
comments, feedback, and pointers to related work that this list can provide.

Thanks,
Adrian (for the authors)