Subject: RPS Work Group Charter

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:08:49 -0500

Harald, Bert,

Comments from the Work Group during the prior meeting at Orlando and
comments made since on the mailing list are reflected in the revised
RPS work group charter below.  The last call comment period was closed
on Jan 8, 1999 with no unaddressed comments.  The work group appears
to have strong concesus on the revised charter as it stands below.

Curtis

  Routing Policy System (rps)
   ---------------------------

   Charter
   Last Modified: January 12, 1999

   Current Status: Active Working Group

   Chair(s):
       Cengiz Alaettinoglu <[email-masked]>
       Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>

   Operations and Management Area Director(s):
       Harald Alvestrand  <[email-masked]>
       Bert Wijnen  <[email-masked]>

   Operations and Management Area Advisor:
       Bert Wijnen  <[email-masked]>

   Mailing Lists:
       General Discussion:[email-masked]
       To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
       Archive:           ftp://ftp.isi.edu/rps

  Description of Working Group:

  The Routing Policy System Working Group intends to provide
  standardization of protocols and recommended practices neccesary to
  support interoperability of the Internet Routing Registry (IRR).  The
  IRR has been in use since 1995 based initially on the RIPE-181 policy
  language.

  The activities of the RPS Working Group shall include (1) defining a
  language, referred to as Routing Policy Specification Language (RPSL),
  for describing routing policy constraints, (2) defining a simple and
  robust distributed registry model for publishing routing policy
  constraints, and (3) providing a forum for the discussion of tools
  for analysing registered policy constraints, for checking global
  consistency, for generating router configurations, and for diagnosing
  operational routing problems.

   Goals and Milestones:

     Dec 1998	Reissue RPSL as a Proposed Standard with modifications
  		resulting from deployment experience.

     Apr 1999	Advance draft-ietf-rps-appl-rpsl to Informational and
  		withdraw draft-ietf-rps-transition.

     Apr 1999	Advance draft-ietf-rps-dbsec-pgp-authent to Proposed
  		Standard.

     Apr 1999	Advance draft-ietf-rps-auth to Proposed Standard. 

     Aug 1999	Advance draft-ietf-rps-dist to Proposed Standard.

     Dec 1999   Advance RPSL to Draft Standard.

   Internet-Drafts:

    Posted   Revised       I-D Title  <Filename>
    ------   -------   ------------------------------------------
   Mar 1997  Nov 1998  <draft-ietf-rps-transition-02.txt>
  		       RIPE-181 to RPSL Transition Plan

   Mar 1997  Jul 1998  <draft-ietf-rps-appl-rpsl-02.txt,.ps>
  		       Using RPSL in Practice

   Mar 1998  May 1998  <draft-ietf-rps-auth-01.txt,.ps>
  		       Routing Policy System Security

   Sep 1998  Sep 1998  <draft-ietf-rps-dist-00.txt,.ps>
                       Distributed Routing Policy System

   Nov 1998  Nov 1998  <draft-ietf-rps-appl-rpsl-03.txt,.ps>
                       Using RPSL in Practice

   Nov 1998  Nov 1998  <draft-ietf-rps-dbsec-pgp-authent-00.txt>
                       PGP authentication for RIPE database updates

   Nov 1998  Nov 1998  <draft-ietf-rps-rpsl-v2-00.txt,.ps>
                       Routing Policy Specification Language (RPSL)

   Request For Comments:

    RFC  Stat Published       Title
  ------- -- ----------     -----------------------------------------
  RFC2280 PS   Jan 1998     Routing Policy Specification Language (RPSL)

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 08:50:08 +0100

Thanks Curtis - Steve, I think we can accept this as "minor changes",
and not have to wait for an IESG review in 2 weeks.

Please update and forward as appropriate.

I assume that the first milestone is "Jan 1999"; you still have
18 days to make it....

                        Harald A

-- 
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]

---

From: Cengiz Alaettinoglu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:37:22 -0800 (PST)

> I assume that the first milestone is "Jan 1999"; you still have

It will be coming this week, perhaps even today. I wanted to implement 
RPSL 100% and append the verified bison rules as the grammar. I am
almost done.

> >  Routing Policy System (rps)

Cengiz

-- 
Cengiz Alaettinoglu           Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/~cengiz    University of Southern California