Subject: rps-auth and rps-dist

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:46:45 -0500

Both rps-auth and rps-dist have been updated.  Cengiz had some
comments on rps-auth reflected in the diffs below.  There were no
other comments on the rps-auth preview at the URL sent to the list
(http://engr.ans.net/rps-auth).  The rps-dist draft was substantially
modified.  The major changes are eliminating repository refresh timer
(leaving only expire), the move of repository object, delegated
attribute, and the new integrity attribute from rps-auth to rps-dist,
removal of multicast and the ability to fragment messages (needed for
a non-TCP transport), clarification of what goes into the response to
a snapshot request, transfer-method attribute moved to the snapshot
response and transaction, renamed sequence-request to
transaction-request, added `Heartbeat Processing' section, significant
changes to `Authenticating Operations' section to better align with
draft-ietf-rps-dbsec-pgp-authent-00 and to more clearly describe the
encapsulation, added an `Examples' appendix with diagrams from prior
WG slides and complete sample meta-objects to illustrate the protocol
usage.  There were also numerous spelling and grammar corrections and
some editing to improve document clarity.

Please see updated previews at:

  http://engr.ans.net/rps-auth/index.html	rps-auth
  http://engr.ans.net/rps-auth/index2.html	rps-dist

I'll submit these as I-Ds later today.

Curtis

cvs server: Diffing .
Index: rps-auth.rfc
===================================================================
RCS file: /usr/local/CVS-routing-dev/doc/ietf/rps-sec/rps-auth.rfc,v
retrieving revision 1.15
diff -u -r1.15 rps-auth.rfc
--- rps-auth.rfc	1999/02/18 04:08:23	1.15
+++ rps-auth.rfc	1999/02/22 18:33:11
@@ -808,7 +808,7 @@
 as ``as-set'' and ``route-set'' correspond to the rules for objects
 with no hierarchy described in Section~\ref{sec:other-objects}.
 
-If hierarchical names are used, then the addition of an object must by
+If hierarchical names are used, then the addition of an object must be
 authorized by the aut-num for the AS in the name of the object.  The
 authentication must be listed in a maintainer referenced by the
 mnt-lower attribute of the aut-num if present, or if absent, in a
@@ -1050,29 +1050,38 @@
 A few attributes are added to the schema.  These are:
 
 \begin{description}
-\item[mnt-routes]	The mnt-routes attribute may appear in an aut-num,
-			inetnum, or route object.  This attribute
-			references a maintainer object which is used
-			in determining authorization for the addition
-			of inetnum and route objects.  After the
-			reference to the maintainer, an optional list
-			of prefix ranges (as defined in RPSL) inside
-			of curly braces or the keyword
-			``ANY'' may follow.  If a mnt-routes  
-			object is absent, the mnt-by attribute is used
-			for this purpose.  The mnt-routes attribute is
-			optional and multiple.
+\item[mnt-routes]	The mnt-routes attribute may appear in an
+			aut-num, inetnum, or route object.
+			When used with a aut-num, inetnum, or route
+			object, this attribute references a maintainer object
+			which is used in determining authorization for
+			the addition of route objects.  When placed in
+			a less specific inetnum it is used in
+			determining authorization for the addition of 
+			more specific inetnum objects.
+			After the reference to the
+			maintainer, an optional list of prefix ranges
+			(as defined in RPSL) inside of curly braces or
+			the keyword ``ANY'' may follow.  If a mnt-routes  
+			attribute is absent, the mnt-lower or mnt-by
+			mnt-by attribute is used for this purpose.
+			The mnt-routes attribute is optional and multiple.
 \item[mnt-lower]	The mnt-lower attribute may appear in an
-			inetnum, route, or aut-num object.  This attribute
-			references a maintainer object.  Its effect in
-			an inetnum or route object is the same as a
-			``mnt-routes'' but applies only to prefixes
-			more specific that the prefix of the object in
-			which it is contained.  In an aut-num object
+			inetnum, route, as-block or aut-num object.
+			This attribute references a maintainer object.
+			When used in an inetnum or route object the
+			effect is the same as a ``mnt-routes'' but
+			applies only to prefixes more specific than
+			the prefix of the object in which it is
+			contained.  In an as-block object, mnt-lower
+			allows addition of more specific as-block
+			objects or aut-num objects.  In an aut-num object
 			the mnt-lower attribute specifies a maintainer
 			that can be used to add objects with
 			hierarchical names as described in
-			Section~\ref{sec:hierarchical-names}.
+			Section~\ref{sec:hierarchical-names}.  If a
+			mnt-lower attribute is absent, the mnt-by
+			attribute is used.
 \item[reclaim]		The reclaim attribute may appear in as-block,
 			aut-num, inetnum, or route objects.  Any
 			object of the same type below in the hierarchy