Subject: [RPSEC] US Gov't. BGP-DNS Security Paper

From: Tony Tauber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:22:26 -0400 (EDT)

Folks,

Attached is a copy of the report from one of the sub-groups spawned by
the US Government's initiative to examine security of the Internet
among other information infrastructures.  This sub-group worked on
ISP BGP and DNS Security and the report is a decent articulation of
the of the issues.  I can't take either credit or blame for this
document.  Nothing new or earth-shattering, I think, but of interest.

Also, Alex Zinin had separately mentioned some other URLs which are
related:

++>  http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/1007security.html
++>  http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/

Tony

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:42:40 -0400

If someone could de-wordify this and post the ASCII (or EBCDIC or ...)
that would help me. I'm word-free.

_______________________________________________
RPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rpsec

---

From: Jean-Jacques Puig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:02:03 +0200

> that would help me. I'm word-free.

You will find it here in ascii and html:
http://www-lor.int-evry.fr/~puig/tmp/
Sorry, wordview conversion is not very accurate :-(

I feel concerned about format of mail attachments, people interested
should have a look at:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

And by the way, I wonder if it is appropriate to post documents to such
a mailing list. A URL to the related documents could relieve the
bandwidth of some people.

--
Jean-Jacques Puig

---

From: Tony Tauber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:06:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Jean-Jacques Puig wrote:

> > If someone could de-wordify this and post the ASCII (or EBCDIC or
> > ...) that would help me. I'm word-free.
>

Jean-Jacques,

Thanks for taking care of this conversion!
Looks pretty decent to me.

> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Let me be perfectly clear, I hate proprietary attachments just as much
as the next person.  However, in this case, my concern was to present
the document just as I recieved it from the sub-group chair without
modification as I wasn't involved in it's production.  I also didn't
want to wait forever while someone worked on re-formatting it and
checking that it looked right.

> And by the way, I wonder if it is appropriate to post documents to
> such a mailing list. A URL to the related documents could relieve
> the bandwidth of some people.

I'm also completely sensitive to that issue but didn't have an
appropriate and persistent webserver at my disposal for this purpose.

It's posted now, though, via the archives 8-), so you got your wish:

https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/rpsec/current/msg00220.html

I confirmed it works by trying the specific URL for the attachment and
opened it with Word manually (MIME-type or filename extension didn't
get it recognized automatically).  The URL for that attachment is:

https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/rpsec/current/bin00000.bin

One list member who recieves the digest also mentioned that the
MIME-encoding gets reworked in a way that confused her mailer so
hopefully these URLs will solve the problems for those folks as well.

Cheers,

Tony