Subject: RE: [RPSEC] proposed message to the IESG

From: Sandy Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:22:12 -0500 (EST)

>The fact that at least one of the solutions has been around
>for at least 7 years and has not seen large scale deployment (if any),
>I think tells volumes about what the operator community want.

By that measure, TCP MD5 was around for years, implemented by a
major vendor or two, and was still not seeing widespread deployment
- from which we would conclude that it was clear what the
operator community wanted.

Which isn't to say it shouldn't be a security requirement.

--Sandy

_______________________________________________
RPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rpsec

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:44:52 -0500

> operator community wanted.

While similarly a proposal to add IKE support for TCP+MD5 so that rekeying
operations were easier never got off the ground in IDR.

Operators can be fickle.  They will often ask for rope and then act
surprised when they hang themselves (and occasionally the whole Internet)
with it.  I'm a big fan of rope, but also making sure that you keep
your gallows to yourself.

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies