Subject: Re: [RPSEC] Operator survey results

From: Stefan Mink <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:55:23 +0200

Hi,

Joe Provo wrote:
>>You can only guess, and there are many papers trying to guess
>>as well as possible these relations.
>
> ...and some guesses are much better than others. And many of us are
> trying to help refine them. :-)

my point here is: why not tag the "redistribution scope" of the
routes sent in the RPSL-DB, e.g. whether it is a peering or a
transit relationship. This doesn't say anything about commercial
relationships: there are paid peerings and there are (backup)
transit for free relationships or swap deals, everything is possible.

Does anybody know for sure whether tier 1's really don't pay
for traffic? Maybe they pay each other dependent on the amount
of traffic sent/received, who knows? I think much of the
"knowledge" in this area is rather rumour based and based on
"knowledge" of the early days of the Internet where things
were much simpler.

    tschuess
              Stefan
--
Stefan Mink, Schlund+Partner AG (AS 8560)
Primary key fingerprint: 389E 5DC9 751F A6EB B974  DC3F 7A1B CF62 F0D4 D2BA
_______________________________________________
RPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rpsec