Subject: [RPSEC] Cryptographic Algorithm Implementation Requirements for Routing Protocols

From: "Bhatia, Manav \(Manav\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:32:18 +0530

Hi,

Our earlier drafts on OSPF/IS-IS cryptographic algorithms implementation
requirements were discussed in the 67th and 68th IETFs. It was suggested
that we merge our OSPF and IS-IS drafts into one, include RIP, and
present the same in the RPSEC WG. This is the first version of the
merged draft.

Abstract:

The interior gateway routing protocols OSPFv2 [RFC2328], IS-IS [ISO]
[RFC1195] and RIP [RFC2453] currently define clear text and MD5
[RFC1321] algorithms for authenticating their protocol packets. There
have recently been documents adding support of the SHA family of hash
algorithms for authenticating routing protocol packets for RIP, IS-IS
and OSPF. 
    
To ensure interoperability between disparate implementations, it is
imperative that we specify a set of mandatory-to-implement algorithms
thereby ensuring that there is at least one algorithm that all
implementations will have available. This document defines the current
set of mandatory-to-implement algorithms to be used for the
cryptographic authentication of these routing protocols as well as
specifying the algorithms that should be implemented because they may be
promoted to mandatory at some future time. 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bhatia-manral-igp-crypto-requi
rements-00.txt

Regards,
Manav
_______________________________________________
RPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rpsec

---

From: "Vishwas Manral" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:27:27 -0800

Hi Manav,

This very same thing has come up in SAAG too. If we keep such
requirements seperate for each protocol, we may end up having more
people documenting the cryptographic protocol requirement for each
protocol than the number of people actually working on the protocols.

We can use the draft to have requirement for BGP too, with the new
TCPM extension - authored by Ron.

Thanks,
Vishwas