Subject: topics and objectives

From: Roland Bless <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 17:49:07 +0100

Hi,

IMHO first, we need to sort out what kind of problems we want to
work on, pick a few topics and define the objectives. Thus, a
first step would be to have a workshop(?) for collecting problems/topics.
Operator/Provider input would be also good to get some insight
into practical problems. Finally, it could be important to distinguish
between clean slate and incremental solutions...

Regards,
 Roland

---

From: "Pierre Francois -X (pifranco - IMDEA networks at Cisco)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 17:10:36 +0000

Hello Roland, 

Maybe we could try and discuss potential topics on the list and see
if a set of reasonable items pop up?

I'll make a round of ISPs usually interested in research and
post on the list if anything comes up. I guess others on the list will
take similar
actions.

Regards, 

Pierre.

---

From: Lixia Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 05:39:27 -0800

we also need to identify potential candidate(s) that may be interested in leading the effort -- this seems to me as important (if not more) as identifying topics.

any name suggestions?

The nearest big network conference is INFOCOM (end of April), that can be  a place to look for candidates (Lars, give you another incentive to attend;)

Lixia

---

From: Dimitri Papadimitriou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 10:37:58 +0100

Concerning topics one could look at ISOC report on routing resiliency
measurement <http://www.internetsociety.org/sites/default/files/report-routingresiliencyreport-201314-en.pdf>
starting from what the report refers to as the problem space (related
to measurement, reliable metrics, characterization of uncertainty in
measurements, routing state description and trend analysis, etc.) and
then the "solution space" (including mitigation technique).

Thanks,
-dimitri.