Subject: Re: [rrg] Summary of architectural solution space

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 03:26:34 EST

David Conrad's indirection.pdf  triggers me to write one more word  with 
respect to the major criticism of strategy C:
 
There he states geo-based routing is bad and no one wants to change the  
economic model.
 
Geo-based routing means doing routing just as if GPS-based. There are  plenty 
of applications and business models today which are GPS-based.  Talking 
something like this down isn't really up-to-date. When in former days a  Siemens 
boss rejected to store music on a disk by arguing "this is future music"  then, 
although not wise, could be excused by not knowing the future of the  
music-CD. But wireless phone and internet, i.e. GPS-based solutions are  already 
current practice.
 
Concurrently geo-based routing means metric-based routing. Without a metric  
you are lost. Try to find out whether 1.50000000001 is within the real numbers 
 interval between 0 and 1 without a metric (without "<=", ">=" ). Or,  which 
is more similar to routing, start with any real number s (like  source) and 
find out whether you should search to the right or to the left  on the real 
number ray without using "<=" and ">=" as to get to real  number d (like 
destination). 
 
Heiner
 
_______________________________________________
rrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/rrg

---

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:54:00 -0800

Heiner,

On Dec 22, 2008, at 12:26 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> There he states geo-based routing is bad and no one wants to change  
> the economic model.

Actually, I was summarizing/paraphrasing one of the axes why nobody  
wants to change.

Geo-addressing would be lovely if you could constrain the network  
topology and hence the business relationships to implement it.  Since  
we have been unable to implement such constraints, it follows that  
this sort of change is not what people want.

> Geo-based routing means doing routing just as if GPS-based.

Only in the least interesting way.  What is more interesting is how  
you'd go about actually implementing it without changing all the  
existing business relationships and models that currently exist.  As  
soon as you can come up with a plausible way of implementing this sort  
of change, I suspect you'd get a bit more traction.

Regards,
-drc