Subject: Re: [rrg] Terminology: word-smithing

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:38:42 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Roland Dobbins <[email-masked]>

    > A locator is defined as a designator

I like 'designator' as another possibility for the thing I was temporarily
calling an 'indentificator'; i.e. a name with no built-in properties other
than identifying one particular entity from a set of them.

    > which has topological significance and provides reachability
    > information for endpoints; the locator(s) associated with an endpoint
    > change if/when the point(s) of attachment of an endpoint within the
    > network topology changes.

I am fairly seriously opposed to having names for endpoints (as opposed to
interfaces) which have location information in them. I assume I don't need to
explain why?

	Noel

---

From: Roland Dobbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 22:47:40 +0800

On Mar 28, 2009, at 10:38 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> interfaces) which have location information in them.

Right - this is for 'locator', not for 'endpoint'; and is not a  
'name', but a 'designator'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roland Dobbins <[email-masked]> // +852.9133.2844 mobile

   Our dreams are still big; it's just the future that got small.

		   -- Jason Scott