Subject: [rrg] *** deadline extended to Aug 13 *** ACM ReArch'09 (co-located with ACM CoNEXT)

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:12:57 +0300

ReArch'09 Workshop - Re-Architecting the Internet
Co-located with ACM CoNEXT 2009
Rome, Italy, December 1, 2009
http://conferences.sigcomm.org/co-next/2009/workshops/rearch

*** Extended Submission Deadline: August 13, 2009 ***
Submit at: http://edas.info/newPaper.php?c=7673

The Internet architecture has been remarkably successful in
allowing a planet-scale internetwork to form. However, this
architecture is losing its original simplicity and transparency
as new classes of applications, business models, security
mechanisms, scalability enablers and operational and management
requirements give rise to point solutions that extend the
architecture without regards to its original design principles.

Although these developments are necessary in the short term to
allow the Internet to continue to operate under the present
economical, technical and social conditions, in combination,
they have significantly reduced the potential for longer-term
evolution of the Internet architecture. This loss of
flexibility is already being felt as the number of Internet
nodes grows by another order of magnitude.

Several substantial Future Internet initiatives are underway in
Europe, the Americas and Asia, and the vendor and network
operator communities are also actively discussing the
limitations of the current Internet architecture as well as its
potential evolution. The first solution proposals in this space
have already started to be analyzed.

ReArch'09 - the second instance of this workshop since its very
successful debut at CONeXT 2008 - will discuss the underlying
problems of the Internet architecture and protocols and debate
how we might fix them in a way that regains us the original
architectural simplicity and clarity of the Internet for another
30+ years.

This workshop solicits original, high-quality papers that
analyze and discuss ideas for a new Internet architecture,
including specific improvements to current Internet protocols,
especially at the internetworking, transport and application
layers, new internetworking components that integrate into the
existing architecture and ideas for clean-slate internetworking
architectures.

Topics

ReArch'09 covers all aspects related to the current and future
Internet architecture including, but not limited to, the
following impact:

   * New networking paradigms
   * New business models
   * New routing architectures
   * New traffic engineering and congestion control mechanisms
   * Measurements and analyses that characterize and quantify
     architectural limitations
   * New architecture proposals and their implications for
     research and operations
   * New protocols to address specific architectural limitations
   * Studies of interactions between stakeholders of the Internet
     and the architecture itself
   * Design principles and interfaces to accommodate the
     conflicting interests of stakeholders in the architecture
   * Principles of evolving future architectures
   * Discussions on interworking with the existing Internet and
     deployability

Papers that present interesting, fresh ideas at an early stage
are more suitable for this workshop than highly polished results
or incremental refinements of previous work. Submissions may
include position papers that point out new directions and
attempt to stimulate discussion; position papers should be
clearly marked as such. Submission must be original and not
already be published or submitted for publication elsewhere.
The proceedings of the workshop will be published in the ACM
Digital Library.

Submissions

Submitted papers must be at most six (6) pages long, including
all figures, tables, references, appendices, etc. They must be
formatted according to the standard ACM double column format
*except* that *all* text must use a font size of 10 points or
larger. Longer submissions will not be reviewed. The review
process is single-blind. Submit papers via EDAS at
http://edas.info/newPaper.php?c=7673

   Submission Deadline:      *** August 13, 2009 ***
   Notification Deadline:        September 10, 2009
   Camera Ready Deadline:        October 1, 2009
   ReArch'09:                    December 1, 2009

Committees

Workshop Co-Chairs

   Lars Eggert, Nokia Research Center & TKK, Finland
   Tilman Wolf, University of Massachusetts, USA

Technical Program Committee

   Bengt Ahlgren, SICS, Sweden
   Mark Allman, ICSI, USA
   Bob Briscoe, BT Group, United Kingdom
   Brian Carpenter, University of Auckland, New Zealand
   Jon Crowcroft, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
   Kevin Fall, Intel Research, USA
   Pierre Francois, UC Louvain, Belgium
   James Griffioen, University of Kentucky, USA
   Robert Hancock, Roke Manor Research, United Kingdom
   Mark Handley, University College London, United Kingdom
   Hiroaki Harai, NICT, Japan
   Daniel Massey, Colorado State University, USA
   Martin May, Thomson Research, France
   Akihiro Nakao, Univeristy of Tokyo, Japan
   Pekka Nikander, Ericsson Research Nomadiclab, Finland
   Craig Partridge, BBN Technologies, USA
   George Rouskas, North Carolina State University, USA
   Peter Steenkiste, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
   Christian Vogt, Ericsson Research, USA
   Klaus Wehrle, RWTH Aachen, Germany
   Rolf Winter, NEC Network Labs, Germany
   Martina Zitterbart, University of Karlsruhe, Germany

Steering Committee

   Marcelo Bagnulo, University Carlos III of Madrid, Spain
   Olivier Bonaventure, UC Louvain, Belgium
   Kenjiro Cho, IIJ, Japan
   Joe Touch, USC/ISI, USA