Subject: Re: [rrg] RRG Mobility Architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 03:57:50 EDT

In einer eMail vom 03.09.2009 23:20:15 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

Heiner,

My vision is that identity of nodes is to be based  on relations with other 
nodes.

Whereas my vision is that identity of nodes is to be based on relations to  
a neutral third and ever fix grid of "virtual/logical/abstract nodes". 
Otherwise  you can map&encap to death.  
My impression: people don't want to abolish problems, they rather want to  
keep them as a permanent task to be mastered: scalability, looping...
They can imagine Scoped Anycast, but not Scoped Anywhere of Unicast  
users.Here I cannot blame MIP4. They did an excellent job adopting a new  
requirement  to a concept where roaming was not on the radar screen.  LISP-ALT is a 
centralized care-of-address concept. What if both users roam as  well as 
nodes? Potentially all users and all nodes? And even if you ignored the  
resulting new scalability and stretch problems you cannot even provide Scoped  
Anywhere service.
However if a mobile node roamed within a particular geopatch no change of  
information is to be sent to the rest of the world, and also: you may 
provide  the service to search for the destination in its "neighborhood" 
eventually  without a home agent. By doing less you get much more...

Especially, mutual knowledge of location within the general  network.
Maintaining this knowledge continuously and all over the network  shall 
make node mobility natural and inconspicuous.
I seek understanding  and opinions on this vision, 

and I  disfavor non-network based identity.

without any deeper reasoning ?
 
Heiner

---

From: Toni Stoev <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 06:03:31 +0300

> keep them as a permanent task to be mastered: scalability, looping...

"We fix it this way. Who needs a general solution?"

> without any deeper reasoning ?

If node identity depends on a network-external place-based grid and the place of networking changes, then identity becomes legacy.
The general network is to be ubiquitous and shall have the solutions of its problems within itself.

> Heiner

Regards,
Toni