Subject: Re: [rrg] Recommendation and what happens next

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 03:46:13 EST

In einer eMail vom 08.03.2010 06:08:19 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

> From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>

> IPv4 is  done. Over. Cooked. Fully toast. It will either enter a black
> market where we deaggregate and no proposal will help, or we shift  to
> v6 and v4 is irrelevant. In either case, we're not in  time to do
> anything significant for v4. 

Probably  needless to say, I do not agree with this. There are _definitely_
more  options than DeathI and DeathII.

Noel

I disagree as well. IPv6 has got all the chances to make a  successful 
carreer for about a decade - and failed.
Stop riding a dead horse. Rather than IPv6, IEEE might win the race.
IPv6 can well live in its niche because IPv4 is shouldering the load.
Talking about the future: All the opinions I hear assume that the way IP is 
 embedded stays forever unchanged. It depends on a telephone network 
underneath  although VOIP deployment progresses.
I don't see ambitious objectives for a future routing technology (by others 
 :-), nor how the to be developed networking layer should be embedded. For 
very  minor goals  MPLS was created and allowed to come up with a shim (the 
MPLS  stack).  Loc/id-separation ? Well, some kind of separation is needed, 
but  it should be done such that IPv4 can exist forever. If it cannot be 
done by some  prepended header (LISP-header, TARA-header,...) then at some 
genuine sub-layer.  Maybe MPLS is greatful to get a new job! Maybe IEEE is 
greatful to get a new job  either. But forget about solutions which discontinue 
IPv4.
MPLS means "multi-protocol..." 
 
Where I agree with Tony: The CEE versus CES feud is not of any help.  
Instead we should conceive the nodes and the hosts as part of the networking  
layer, each part being ordered and enabled to do its appropriate  tasks.
 
Heiner

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 04:54:49 EST

In einer eMail vom 08.03.2010 05:50:56 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

I  want nothing.  IPv4 is done.  Over.  Cooked. Fully toast.   It will 
either
enter a black market where we deaggregate and no proposal  will help, or we
shift to v6 and v4 is irrelevant.  In either case,  we're not in time to do
anything significant for v4.  And we still  need a v6 solution, that's
clearly higher  priority.

Well, in case IETF gives up IPv4, then other standardisation bodies will  
happily take over, I guess.
MPLS has been launched for rather minor objectives (compared with keeping  
IPv4 alive).
It could launch another type of MPLS which is based on globally  
significant "labels" (such as the TARA-locator :-) rather than on locally  significant 
labels! It would guarantee eternal life for IPv4 (because globally  
uniqueness of the IPv4 address wouldn't be necessary anymore).
 
Quo vadis, IPv6, in that case ?
 
Heiner