Subject: [rrg] Ivip IDs updated

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 05:02:42 +1100

The important updates are:

   DRTM - Distributed Real Time Mapping for Ivip and LISP
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whittle-ivip-drtm-01

      Much improved DTRM description compared to my initial
      RRG message of 25/26 February.

   Ivip Glossary
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whittle-ivip-glossary-01

      Updated to match the above.

I believe DRTM overcomes some objections which previously applied to
Ivip's mapping system.

DRTM does not involve any device needing to have the full set of
mapping for all MABs (Mapped Address Blocks).  Nor is there a need
for ISPs and end-user networks to run query servers which are "full
database" (getting continual real-time mapping changes) for any of
the MABs.  All ITRs and query servers (QSRs and the optional QSCs) in
ISPs and end-user networks are caching-only.

DRTM also provides for introduction of scalable routing supportive
SPI ("edge") space portability, multihoming and inbound-TE with no
ISP investment and almost no involvement.  The initiative is taken by
- and the investments are made by - MAB Operating Companies.  These
need not be ISPs.

I hope to finish the update Ivip-arch in the next day or so.  The 03
version doesn't cover the new DRTM (Distributed Real Time Mapping)
arrangements.  The new version will be:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whittle-ivip-arch-04

The less important updates are:

   Fast Payload Replication mapping distribution for Ivip
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whittle-ivip-fpr-01

      Same as before, but with a note that the techniques
      here may be useful for Ivip and other purposes, but
      are not required for the new DRTM approach to Ivip.

   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whittle-ivip-db-fast-push-04

      Stub ID to indicate that the previous versions are
      obsolete and no longer part of Ivip.

  - Robin

---

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:23:29 +1100

I have updated the Ivip-arch ID to cover the new Distributed Real
Time Mapping (DRTM) system.

This is very different from the system Ivip used until recently.  It
does not require any server hold the entire mapping database, or
involve a single globally coordinated mapping distribution system.

As before, it provides end-user networks - or whoever they appoint to
control their mapping - with real-time control of the way ITRs tunnel
packets.  This also enables end-user networks to scalably gain
portability, multihoming and inbound TE without initial investment by
ISPs.  The initiatives and investments are made by whatever companies
are leasing the SPI "edge" space to end-user neworks.

The Ivip IDs are:

   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whittle-ivip-arch           04
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whittle-ivip-drtm           01
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whittle-ivip-glossary       01

and, of lesser importance:

   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whittle-ivip-etr-addr-forw  00

My arguments for Ivip, with reference to all other proposals, are here:

   Recommendation suggestion from RW (v2)
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg06219.html

  - Robin