Subject: [rrg] R&D or Marketing When 32 vs. 48 vs. 64 vs. 96 vs. 128 vs. 480 are Debated ?

From: "IPv3.com" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 22:02:35 -0500

R&D or Marketing When 32/34/36 vs. 48 vs. 64 vs. 96 vs. 128 vs. 480
are Debated ?

Will the 48-bit advocates "win in the end" ? 48-bit MAC ID & 48-bit
Locator via IPv4+UDP

UNIX Culture has low-level high-performance hardware R&D with a bias
toward 48 bits (note the 160-bit packet format with UDP included)
http://netfpga.org
http://netfpga.org/foswiki/bin/view/NetFPGA/OneGig/Guide#Reference_Pipeline
What students are taught makes its way into production?

UNIX Culture also has the (Cheap) Functional Box crowd with WRT-54GL
Open Source $50 "routers" which have yet to be explored in depth
PC--CAT--NAT--NET fits into that basket
WRT-160N now joins the party.

IPv6-Only advocates are now discovering that 6to4 needs IPv4 to work
and it is really a 32+64=96 solution not pure 128-bits

Good old DNS (the Elephant in the room) has become a political
football yet many features are not exploited.
Example: A Records return 80-bits with 32 TTL 16 Class 32 A and AAAA
Records are just 128-bit containers not protocol triggers. Class would
be
a "better" protocol trigger. IN CHAOS...

Up in the 480-bit DHT "Routing" Arena you have put(Key,Data,Time)
which appears to be a best effort send packet. With Time via only
4-bits
one can select Day,Week,Month,Year or any combination. A get(Key) from
the .NET returns the Data for that period of Time. Speed is not as
critical as ACID - Atomic, Coherent, Isolated, Durable in other words
99.999% up-time, reliable, etc. world-wide 24x7x365.

Twitter is bringing DHT look-and-feel to users. 300,000 per day are
joining. Some measure that as a sign of success.
http://Twitter.com/IPv3

Should users really care if IPv4 or IPv6 is "under the hood" ?
A PC--CAT--NAT--NET developer cares mostly about how to program the
bumps in the stack. CAT Services are the .NET to some.

===================================
00 - UNIX
01 - ISOC, IETF, IRTF, IANA, ICANN, NANOG, RIRs...
10 - IEEE, ATSC, FCC, NTIA, NIST, LEOs...
11 - UN, ITU, ETSI...
===================================