Subject: Re: [rrg] An economic analysis of loc/ID Split

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 16:06:19 +1200

Hi Luigi,

Thanks for the paper. It's an interesting approach, although
I don't know how robust the conclusions are given the number
of assumptions and the potential for non-linear behaviour.

One point I want to dispute is in the very first sentence:

"...with the most pressing issue being the super linear growth
of the BGP routing table [3]."

Superlinear with respect to what? The growth may be faster than
linear with respect to time, but time is not a scale metric. As
I've shown [URL below], BGP growth was historically significantly
*sublinear* with respect to the total number of Internet subscribers,
which means that it is also sublinear with respect to total ISP
revenue. That means that BGP-related OPEX has automatically declined
as a fraction of revenue as the subscriber base increased. It may
be that the effects you describe are second-order compared to this,
and therefore not very powerful as (dis)incentives.

  Brian

[See Observed Relationships between Size Measures of the Internet,
ACM SIGCOMM CCR, 39(2) (April 2009) 6-12,
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~brian/sqlaw.pdf ]

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 2010-03-12 23:52, Luigi Iannone wrote:
> Hi All,
> 
> Tapio Leva and myself   worked on some economic aspects of Loc/ID Split. 
> The analysis is pretty simple but has some merits. Attached is the paper. 
> 
> Hope that this work is of some interest for the list. Comments are very welcome.
> 
> Ciao
> 
> Luigi
>