Subject: [rrg] RG futures

From: Ran Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:04:00 -0400

> Eliot Lear originally wrote:
> > What do people want to do next with this group?
> 
> Scott Brim responded:
> Declare victory, put it to sleep, and let Aaron decide what to do with it.

RFC-2014 which is normative, indicates that the RG charter is a matter
for the IRTF Chair, IRSG, and IAB.

RFC-4440, starting bottom of Page 2, specifically says:
   The IRTF Chair is appointed by the Internet Architecture Board (IAB), 
   and charters IRTF research groups (RGs) in consultation with the 
   Internet Research Steering Group (IRSG) and with approval of the IAB.

That says decisions about a future charter for this RG are in the hands 
of the IRSG, IRTF Chair, and IAB, rather than being within the scope 
of the RG itself.

That seems entirely consistent with what Scott said.

Ran

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:21:13 -0400

Work in the IRTF is initiated, in general, by the folks who want to do
it.  Thus it is a more bottoms-up organization than the quotes below
would imply (c.f RFC2014, section 2.2) and the RG leadership plays a key
role.  My role is to guide and provide oversight.  So, I think Eliot is
asking an excellent question: what does this group want to do next? 
It's *your* group (or at least, those of you who want to continue to
collaborate).  Are there no other research areas in routing that folks
want to work on? 

--aaron