Subject: Re: [rrg] Proposal for recommendation language

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 15:54:45 -0400 (EDT)

> From: "George, Wes E [NTK]" <[email-masked]>

    > However, the net result is largely the same. Whatever the underlying
    > reasoning, and no matter how sound it may appear, we still have
    > fundamental disagreement that is leading to an unwillingness to
    > compromise to move towards consensus.

True.

    > If there are still fundamental disagreements about certain things,
    > like changing vs not changing hosts, etc, then that means the risk
    > is high that we might be choosing wrong.

Also true. The usual way to deal with that is 'try several', to reduce
risk that the 'chosen alternative' turns out to not be workable. That's
not formally possible here, but I suspect that informally that's what's
going to happen.

    >> The intention of 3 is that there be _two_ documents

    > Ok, that's better than what I was thinking you were suggesting

Err, wasn't my suggestion - that was Vince Fuller.

	Noel

---

From: Paul Jakma <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:00:35 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> Also true. The usual way to deal with that is 'try several', to 
> reduce risk that the 'chosen alternative' turns out to not be 
> workable. That's not formally possible here, but I suspect that 
> informally that's what's going to happen.

I'm not sure it's enough just to try several. That will catch 
'workability' problems, as you suggest, but it won't per se tell us 
which solutions handle growth the best, will it?

If we wish to avoid the learning-through-internet-scale-rollout path, 
it'd be really useful to model some of the different options against 
each other. If that hasn't been done already? (I'm presuming not).

Might there be some pretty rich seams here to mine for academic work?

regard,
-- 
Paul Jakma	[email-masked]	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune:
The ultimate game show will be the one where somebody gets killed at the end.
 		-- Chuck Barris, creator of "The Gong Show"