Subject: [rrg] New IRON draft available (FW: I-D Action:draft-templin-iron-01.txt)

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:20:32 -0700

And now for something completely different, here is a
new version of the Internet Routing Overlay Network (IRON)
that identifies a new business model and new architecture
for supporting scalable provider independent addressing
and multihoming.

IRON now expects that Virtual Prefix (VP) companies will
set up a business in which they lease portions of their
address space to End User Networks (EUNs) as PI prefixes.
EUNs can then "register" the binding of each PI prefix
with an IP address that was assigned to them by an ISP. No
other arrangements with the ISP are necessary. Multihomed
EUNs can change their bindings on the fly to use a different
ISP without having to relinquish their PI prefixes nor
renumber their networks. All of this is realized through
the deployment of a small number of commodity hardware
platforms scattered throughout the Internet and with no
changes to existing core routers.

Pease see below for the abstract plus document URL. Please
also note that this approach may be consistent with what
the chairs' recommendation is calling "Aggregation in
Increasing Scopes".

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-templin-iron-01.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Internet Routing Overlay Network (IRON)
	Author(s)       : F. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-iron-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2010-04-28

The Internet routing system is experiencing a growth profile that has
led many to express concerns for unsustainable routing scaling.
Operational practices such as increased use of multihoming with IPv4
Provider-Independent (PI) addressing are resulting in more and more
fine-grained prefixes injected into the routing system from more and
more end user networks.  Furthermore, depletion of the remaining
public IPv4 address space has raised concerns for both increased
deaggregation (leading to yet further routing scaling) and an
impending address space runout scenario.  At the same time, the IPv6
routing system is finally beginning to see significant growth in IPv6
Provider-Aggregated (PA) prefixes but there does not seem to be
solution on the near term horizon for IPv6 PI addressing.  Since the
Internet must continue to support escalating growth due to increasing
demand, it is clear that current mechanisms and operational practices
are reaching a tipping point where something must be done.  This
document proposes an Internet Routing Overlay Network (IRON) for
supporting sustainable growth while requiring no changes to end
systems and no changes to the existing routing system.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-iron-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-templin-iron-01.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Internet Routing Overlay Network (IRON)
	Author(s)       : F. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-iron-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2010-04-28

The Internet routing system is experiencing a growth profile that has
led many to express concerns for unsustainable routing scaling.
Operational practices such as increased use of multihoming with IPv4
Provider-Independent (PI) addressing are resulting in more and more
fine-grained prefixes injected into the routing system from more and
more end user networks.  Furthermore, depletion of the remaining
public IPv4 address space has raised concerns for both increased
deaggregation (leading to yet further routing scaling) and an
impending address space runout scenario.  At the same time, the IPv6
routing system is finally beginning to see significant growth in IPv6
Provider-Aggregated (PA) prefixes but there does not seem to be
solution on the near term horizon for IPv6 PI addressing.  Since the
Internet must continue to support escalating growth due to increasing
demand, it is clear that current mechanisms and operational practices
are reaching a tipping point where something must be done.  This
document proposes an Internet Routing Overlay Network (IRON) for
supporting sustainable growth while requiring no changes to end
systems and no changes to the existing routing system.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-iron-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
W0ludGVybmV0U2hvcnRjdXRdDQpVUkw9ZnRwOi8vZnRwLmlldGYub3JnL2ludGVybmV0LWRyYWZ0
cy9kcmFmdC10ZW1wbGluLWlyb24tMDEudHh0DQo=

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:33:19 -0700

I need to mention one other thing. The IRON approach
uses IPv{4,6}-in-IPv{4,6} encapsulation for any IP
protocol version combinations. The approach can also
support (foo)-in-IPv{4,6} encapsulation, where (foo)
is a non-IP network layer protocol.

Fred

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Templin, Fred L
> Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:21 AM
> To: IRTF Routing RG
> Subject: [rrg] New IRON draft available (FW: I-DAction:draft-templin-iron-01.txt)
>