Subject: Re: [rrg] Another Routing RG Straw Poll

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 09:43:59 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Dae Young KIM <[email-masked]>

    > The problem is that the IP address names the interface, not the node.

So what do you do when you have a host which has multiple interfaces,
connected to different networks (say, a wireless network and a 3G phone
network)?

    > To me, it's all right we have only one number

Perhaps you need to re-read RFC 1498 (not to mention IEN 19).

	Noel

---

From: Dae Young KIM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 23:55:40 +0900

Of course, I read RFC 1498. Still, as I depicted in Slide 4 of my
file, the role of PoA is already served by MAC address, and not has to
be duplicated by extra 'Locator'.

How then would intra-domain routing work? Please see slides 14 - 17.
Node addressing would be flat and not changing while mobile within an
AS. Each router would keep a table of (node addr, subnet router addr,
next-hop router addr), i.e., a list of member nodes within each
subnet. Change of membership (- or +) would be updated either by
broadcasting by affected routers or by LS updates.

In a sense, the operation resembles of MAC bridges, only that there's
no medium broadcast.

There'd be lots of arguments against this fashion of operation, but a
good side that mobility is inherently supported by routers without
resorting to extra mapping (ID>Loc) or agent(HA/FA) infrastructure.

Most ASs won't be populated by more than 2**16 (at most 2**24), thus
limiting the size of the routing table manageable/affordable. Tricks
for fast entry matching is a usual table lookup problem.

Perhaps, a whole nonsense?

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Noel Chiappa <[email-masked]> wrote:
>    > From: Dae Young KIM <[email-masked]>
>
>    > The problem is that the IP address names the interface, not the node.
>
>    > To me, it's all right we have only one number
>

-- 

Regards,
DY

---

From: Dae Young KIM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 00:03:53 +0900

A few more wordings added to the slides.

-- 

Regards,
DY