Subject: Re: [rrg] Routing through

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 07:03:49 EDT

In einer eMail vom 29.05.2010 10:17:32 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

So  Heiner,

To go to RIPE NCC to take an IPv6 training course I would do  the following:

I would resolve RIPE NCC from their web site to  Netherlands, Amsterdam, 
street, number.
I would start my trip in Bulgaria  since I am currently there. I can see on 
the map my first hop should be either  Serbia or Romania. I would choose 
Romania because of current ID policy setup.  Then I would cross Hungary and 
Austria autonomous lands to reach  Germany.
Now, how would I traverse Germany not knowing any specific routes  there?
As you told me, I would use the autobahn infrastructure. From  Germany's 
intra-land map I can see, the autobahn would lead me to Munich. I  would 
further pass by either Stuttgart or Nuremberg, depending on traffic  engineering 
policy and current congestion rate. Then Frankfurt am Main, Bonn.  Cologne 
would be my next major checkpoint towards the border gate.
In the  Netherlands I would simply use the RIPE NCC locator memo: 
Amsterdam, street,  number.

Requesting your comments,
Toni

Let me get to the real point. My concept is the same as of Google-map. Each 
 router shall acqire a view of the internet nodes and  internet  links 
according to different zooms. These differently skimmed  topologies shall be 
combined to a single flat topology, whereby each router sees  itself (and all 
the other routers of the same geopatch) as if this were the  center-geopatch 
of the world. Surrounded by larger and larger geopatches and  their 
respectively skimmed topologies. In spite of equal degree skimming, links  to far 
remote neighbor nodes must be contained. To disseminate all the required  
information takes a relatively minor enhancement of the BGP UPDATE message.  
Introducing policy routing is of course another and important step. But it must 
 be the SECOND step. Links and nodes may be assigned values&attributes  for 
computing alternative routes. People are welcome to contribute.  Computing 
Non-best-effort intra-domain routes is well-known for more than  a decade, 
why shouldn't it be possible to develop inter-domain  QoS/Policy routes ?!
 
Without collecting any single path while enabling twice as many path as are 
 by DV! Without doing any single IP-prefix! 
Even better-than-of-today-Policy routing would be enabled (e.g. time of day 
 routing)
 
etc.etc.
 
Heiner

---

From: Toni Stoev <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 17:50:29 +0300

> Even better-than-of-today-Policy routing would be enabled (e.g. time of day 

So there are nodes, links, geopatches (?) with topologies. Also distinct inter-domain and intra-domain routes?
Are there any names/IDs?

Can you give a URL, please?

Toni