Subject: [rrg] FW: IETF Mail Delays - Resolved

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 09:34:13 -0700

FYI...

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Glen Barney   (AMS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon,  7 Jun 2010 07:57:38 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Glen Barney   (AMS)" <[email-masked]>
Subject: IETF Mail Delays - Resolved

Good morning:

This morning I received emergency alerts from Lars and Dan regarding mail
not
flowing through the server.

As previously mentioned, an automatic database update from ClamAv - the
virus scanning software we use to scan incoming mail for viruses - was
causing ClamAv to crash.  Incoming mail was still being accepted by the
server, and the mail processes were still up, but the internal virus
scanning system was crashing causing mail to be delayed inside the server.

I was unable to get any portion of the ClamAv system to function correctly
after the database update that came in, and I was unable to construct an
older version of the database without expending a significant amount of
time; therefore, I chose to completely remove the OS-supplied version of
ClamAv and rebuild a new version from scratch.

This process has been completed, and the new ClamAv appears to be
functioning
perfectly.  Mail is now flowing through the system and being delivered
correctly.  No mail appears to have been lost.  We'll watch to make sure
there are no other problems surrounding this event.  Let me know if you have
any questions.

Thanks,
Glen

Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)

------ End of Forwarded Message