Subject: Re: [rrg] Terminology straw poll

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:40:51 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Paul Jakma <[email-masked]>

    >>       1) The topology-dependent name of a node's interface.
    >>       2) The topology-dependent name of ... a group of related
    >>          subnetworks that share a single aggregate.

    > FWIW, to me the clarification of 1 and 2 are unneeded. Topological
    > naming implies the ability to aggregate 

Perhaps, but the two classes have different semantics (i.e. it's possible to
visualize a class of names which can _only_ name interfaces), so it seemed
wise to make it explicit that both types of semantics are covered (at least,
as currently used).

	Noel

---

From: Paul Jakma <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:47:10 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> Perhaps, but the two classes have different semantics (i.e. it's 
> possible to visualize a class of names which can _only_ name 
> interfaces),

Hmm, do you mean that it only names an interface without reference to 
location (e.g. "bge0")? Then it isn't a topological name anymore. 
Otherwise, I don't know what you mean with a class of names that only 
names interfaces while still being topologically dependent. ;)

regards,
-- 
Paul Jakma	[email-masked]	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune:
leverage, n.:
 	Even if someone doesn't care what the world thinks
 	about them, they always hope their mother doesn't find out.