Subject: Re: [rrg] ILNP Issue #1 from Toni Stoev

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:17:22 -0400 (EDT)

> From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>

    > The Identifier names a node, but does not name its location.
    > The Locator names a subnetwork, but does not name a node.

It's worth pointing out that the ILNP Locator doesn't name an interface
either; and the ILNP Locator+Identifier also doesn't really name an interface,
because if a machine has (for some strange reason) two interfaces to the same
physical network, the Locator+Identifier cannot distinguish between them.
However, the Locator+Identifier does 'sort of' name an interface in most
configurations.

	Noel

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:25:52 -0700

> However, the Locator+Identifier does 'sort of' name an interface in most

This is a win, not an issue.

If a host is using multiple interfaces to a subnet, such as a link aggregate, then this abstracts that L1 phenomena from L3.  While Ethernet aggregates are already common today in the Enterprise, they are about to become much more common in the service provider space, and the fact that L3 meddles about with them causes no end of grief.

The downside to this is that you can't really use L3 tools to manage your aggregates, as the components are no longer addressable (pun intended ;-).

Regards,
Tony