Subject: Re: [rrg] ILNP and MPTCP [was multi-homed site issues]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:39:48 EDT

In einer eMail vom 09.08.2010 20:08:06 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

and  congestion response is definitely NOT 
the network layer's  responsibility.

Joel,
Why ? The TCP endpoints don't have any idea how to dissolve a congestion.  
It takes a concerted action in the network for dissoving a congestion such 
that  it is not just relocated. Individual TCP endpoints may only try out 
SOMETHING  ELSE - without seeing, without knowing. 
 
Heiner

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 16:49:58 -0400

One can argue that our layering structure is mis-constructed (as John 
Day does).  But even if it is misconstructed, with the approach we use, 
flow control and congestion response are very separate functions from 
the path finding functions.  Intertwining them makes life much more 
complicated.

If we look at it as a layer construct, Network is concerned with path 
finding / forwarding, and transport is concerned with reliability, folw 
control, congestion response, and other end systems issues.
This is related to the ideas behind moving end functions to end systems 
(buffering and flow control).

Yours,
Joel

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> In einer eMail vom 09.08.2010 20:08:06 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit 
> schreibt [email-masked]:
> 
> Why ? The TCP endpoints don't have any idea how to dissolve a 
> congestion. It takes a concerted action in the network for dissoving a 
> congestion such that it is not just relocated. Individual TCP endpoints 
> may only try out SOMETHING ELSE - without seeing, without knowing. 
>  
> Heiner