Subject: [rrg] FW: Internet Privacy Workshop: 8 and 9 December 2010

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:43:48 +0300

Hi all, 

Given previous discussions on this list I think the following
IAB/MIT/W3C/ISOC workshop on Internet privacy could be interesting for
you. 

Ciao
Hannes

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext IETF
Secretariat
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:00 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Internet Privacy Workshop: 8 and 9 December 2010 

The Internet Architecture Board (IAB), World Wide Web Consortium (W3C),
Internet Society (ISOC) and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
will hold a joint Internet privacy workshop on 8 and 9 December 2010 at
MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts on the question:

"How Can Technology Help to Improve Privacy on the Internet?"

Information about who we are, what we own, what we have experienced, how
we behave, where we are located, and how we can be reached are among the
most personal pieces of information about us. This information is
increasingly being made more easily available electronically via the
Internet, often without the consent of the subject.

The question for the workshop therefore is: How can we ensure that
architectures and technologies for the Internet, including the World
Wide Web, are developed in ways that respects users intentions about
their privacy?

This workshop aims to explore the experience and approaches taken by
developers of Internet including Web technology, when designing privacy
into these protocols and architectures. Engineers know that many design
considerations need to be taken into account when developing solutions.
Balancing between the conflicting goals of openness, privacy, economics,
and security is often difficult, as illustrated by Clark, et al. in
"Tussle in Cyberspace: Defining Tomorrow's Internet", see
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/ana/Publications/PubPDFs/Tussle2002.pdf

As a member of the technical community, we invite you to share your
experiences by participating in this important workshop. Workshop
participants will focus on the core privacy challenges, the approaches
taken to deal with them, and the status of the work in the field. The
objective is to draw a relationship with other application areas and
other privacy work in an effort to discuss how specific approaches can
be generalized.

Interested parties must submit a brief contribution describing their
work or approach as it relates to the workshop theme. We welcome
visionary ideas for how to tackle Internet privacy problems, as well as
write-ups of existing concepts, deployed technologies, and
lessons-learned from successful or failed attempts at deploying privacy
technologies. Contributions are not required to be original in content.

Submitters of accepted position papers will be invited to the workshop.
The workshop will be structured as a series of working sessions,
punctuated by invited speakers, who will present relevant background
information or controversial ideas that will motivate participants to
reach a deeper understanding of the subject. The organizing committee
may ask submitters of particularly topical papers to present their ideas
and experiences to the workshop.

We will publish submitted position papers and slides together with a
summary report of the workshop.

There are no plans for any remote participation in this workshop.

To be invited to the workshop, please submit position papers to
[email-masked] by November, 5th 2010.

More detailed information about the workshop, including further details
about the position paper requirements, is available at:
http://www.iab.org/about/workshops/privacy/

We look forward to your input,
Bernard Aboba (IAB), Trent Adams (ISOC), Daniel Appelquist (W3C), Karen
O'Donoghue (ISOC), Jon Peterson (IAB), Thomas Roessler (W3C), Karen
Sollins (MIT), Hannes Tschofenig (IAB)