Subject: [rrg] List of critiques v3

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 23:56:01 +1000

This is an updated version of my 2010-01-21 message: "List of
critiques v2".

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg05726.html

Please let me know any corrections.

  - Robin

I list whether or not a "Rebuttal" was written.  There was also an
invitation to write a "counterpoint" - something written by those who
were critical of the architecture, responding to the "rebuttal".
No-one wrote any "counterpoints".

A number greater than 1 in the Critique column indicates my
understanding that more than one critique was written.  "S" means a
"self-written critique" - that it was  was written by one or more of
the proponents of the architecture.

I have listed the author of the critique which is in the Report - RW
is me.

 Name                     Critiques  Author                   Rebuttal

 LISP                         2      RW

 RANGI                        1      Paul Francis                Yes

 Ivip                         1      Lixia Zhang                 Yes

 hIPv4                        1      RW

 Name Overlay                 2S     Yangyang Wang               Yes

 Compact Routing              1      RW                          Yes

 Layered Mapping System       2S     Sun Letong

 2-Phased Mapping             2S     Wei Zhang

 GLI-Split                    2      Letong Sun                  Yes

 TIDR                         1      RW

 ILNP                         1      Joel Halpern                Yes

 Enhanced Effic. Map. Dist.   2s     Lixia Zhang & K. Sriram     Yes

 Evolution Aggr. Inc. Scopes  2S     Beichuan Zhang & Lan Wang

 Name Based Sockets           2      Javier Ubillos

 IRON-RANGER                  1      RW                          Yes

Some further notes:

 LISP

    There were two critiques of LISP - mine which is in the Report
    and Noel Chiappa's (msg05747).  Lixia also wrote something which
    tried to combine the two.

 RANGI

    I wrote a bunch of stuff about RANGI (2010-02-20 msg06075) but it
    was never intended to be a 500 word critique.

 Ivip

    I updated Ivip significantly after Lixia wrote her critique -
    with Distributed Real Time Mapping.

 hIPv4

    I think Patrick has updated hIPv4 significantly since I wrote the
    critique earlier this year.  I have not kept up with those
    developments.

 Name Overlay

    Yangyang Wang's critique is in the Report.  As I wrote in v2, I
    think this is a genuine critical analysis.  I wrote another
    critique, which was never in a 500 word form for the Report:
    msg06062 2010-02-18.

 Layered Mapping System

    Letong Sun posted this critique to the list on 2010-01-19.  I
    wrote an alternative critique (msg06085 2010-02-20) but never
    made a 500 word version.

 2-Phased Mapping

    I wrote a 455 word alternative critique msg06083 201-02-20).

 GLI-Split

    Letong Sun sent his critique to the list on 2010-01-20 (msg05717).
    I wrote a long alternative critique (msg06056, 2010-02-17)
    without it being intended for the Report.  I never followed up
    on this - perhaps one of my major critiques were based on a
    misunderstanding.  As far as I know, GLI-Split is no longer being
    developed since its designers are working on improving LISP.

 ILNP

    I wrote a bunch of critical things about ILNP early in 2010
    year which didn't get into Joel's critique.  I wrote more
    critical things in recent months, particularly regarding my
    inability to understand how ILNP could work with existing IPv6
    applications and how this and other CEE architectures will
    slow initial communications establishment and burden hosts
    with extra work, extra and/or longer packets.

 Enhanced Efficiency of Mapping Distribution Protocols

    Lixia posted the critique she wrote with K. Sriram on
    2010-02-12 (msg06025).  This was based, in part, on
    comments by Dino Farinacci and Brian Carpenter (msg05694).
    K. Sriram is the designer of this architecture, but since
    others help write the critique, I used a small 's'.  I wrote
    another critique (msg06087 2010-02-21) but not in a sub-500
    word form.

 Evolution with Increasing Scopes

    I wrote a long discussion of this (msg06093 2010-02-23) but
    it was never meant to be a 500 word critique.   See also
    msg05862, msg05991 and msg06055.

 Name Based Sockets

    Javier Ubillos wrote the first critique of Name Based Sockets -
    and this is in the Report.  I wrote a second critique on
    2010-01-30: (msg05832).

 IRON-RANGER

    Fred Templin had worked intensively on the design of IRON since
    the time I wrote the critique which appears in the Report:
    msg05796 2010-01-26.  Well into the middle of the year we bounced
    ideas back and forth and Fred revised the design to a point where
    I think it differs greatly, and is much improved upon, its state
    at the start of the year.   I haven't yet had time to read the
    final I-D:

       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-iron-12

    but I suggest anyone who is interested in Core-Edge Separation
    architectures should take a look at IRON.  The others are LISP,
    Ivip and TIDR.