Subject: [rrg] RANGI using existing IPv6 applications

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 02:11:37 +1000

Hi Xiaohu,

I wanted to mention this in a separate thread so it can be found
easily in the archives.  In "Re: [rrg] Consensus check on ILNP" you
wrote a correction to what I wrote about RANGI needing changes to IPv6
applications:

>  In fact, RANGI doesn't require any change to applications.
>  We have just finished the implementions and experiments of RANGI.
>
>  I will provide the URL for RANGI source codes soon.

OK.  Does this mean that any existing IPv6 application can work,
including with a mixture of hosts which do and don't have RANGI
stacks, including when the host which originates the communication
does or doesn't have RANGI and starts with either an IP address (such
as from a referral) or from a lookup of a FQDN?

Can the applications still work OK when the FQDN lookup returns
multiple IPv6 addresses, such as in a round-robin arrangement to
spread the load over multiple hosts?

I see the main I-D:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-rangi-04

was updated in August, from the February version 03 on which I based
my questions / critique on (2010-02-20):

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rrg/current/msg06075.html

and that the proxy I-D is unchanged since then:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-rangi-proxy-01

The slides, which are also currently cited in the RRG Report:

 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-rrg-recommendation-14#ref-RANGI

are no longer at the URL specified:

  http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/09nov/slides/RRG-1.ppt
  http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/76/slides/RRG-1.ppt

Is there any new documentation for RANGI?

  - Robin

---

From: Xu Xiaohu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 11:10:20 +0800

Hi Robin,

Sorry for late response due to a holiday.

> -----邮件原件-----
> 发件人: Robin Whittle [mailto:[email-masked]]
> 发送时间: 2010年9月22日 0:12
> 收件人: RRG
> 抄送: Xu Xiaohu
> 主题: RANGI using existing IPv6 applications
> 
> Hi Xiaohu,
> 

Any application can work well on RANGI hosts without any change.

> as from a referral) or from a lookup of a FQDN?

For RANGI transition mechanisms, RANGI hosts will initiate communications
with non-RANGI hosts in normal IPv6 fashion (e.g., use one of its locators
for establishing communications), just as dual-stack hosts use IPv4 to
initiate communications with IPv4 hosts, while non-RANGI hosts will initiate
communications with RANGI hosts via RANGI transit proxy, since non-RANGI
hosts take the host identifiers of RANGI hosts as normal IPv6 addresses. For
more details, please read
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-rangi-proxy-01.

> spread the load over multiple hosts?

Yes. Different applications could communicate with different destination
hosts. 
 
> Is there any new documentation for RANGI?

No new docs at present.

Best wishes,
Xiaohu