Subject: Re: [rrg] future routing architecture in view of stuxnet...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:55:43 EDT

In einer eMail vom 28.09.2010 18:05:17 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

On Sep  28, 2010, at 1:43 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Fred, you missed  my point. Stuxnet is just the harbinger.
> 
> What I want to say  is that  routing architectures which depend on a 
small set of   routers like LISP depending on a small (??) set of ALT-routers  
>  are very vulnerable: By attacking these ALT-routers you may attack the 
entire  internet.

?  What's the point here?

BGP routers are  attacked every single day.  24x7x365

Tony

Tony, I take your remark as a pro and not as a con. The BGP concept as  of 
today is such that you cannot
harm all by harming just a special well confined subset thereof (like e.g.  
the ALT-routers).
 
Heiner

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 10:04:49 -0700

> Tony, I take your remark as a pro and not as a con. The BGP concept  
> as of today is such that you cannot
> harm all by harming just a special well confined subset thereof  
> (like e.g. the ALT-routers).

There is box, GRE tunnel, and underlying physical redundancy. If an  
ALT-router gets taken out, or simply crashes, Map-Requests have  
alternate paths to take.

Dino

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 10:43:51 -0700

> Tony, I take your remark as a pro and not as a con. The BGP concept as of today is such that you cannot
> harm all by harming just a special well confined subset thereof (like e.g. the ALT-routers).

Heiner,

As a bit of a reality check: the bad guys have computers.  They know how to program.  They regularly attack tens of thousands of routers every single day.

Every single system in the infrastructure that has the least visibility is subject to abuse.  Whether there are 10,000 or 1,000 or 100,000 of such systems does not matter in the least.  The bad guys have scale on their side.  They own the hosts at the edges.

Tony