Subject: [rrg] ILNP presentation at NANOG

From: William Herrin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 12:04:56 -0400

Quick comment on the ILNP presentation here at NANOG-

I suspect the DNS is not the right vehicle for name to identifier to
locator resolution. It's a tribute to the DNS that that it's almost
flexible enough to do a credible job but DNS's design was focused on
providing cacheable distributed maps to infrequently changing whole
addresses that in a single request contained all knowledge needed to
establish and maintain communication with a remote host.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

-- 
William D. Herrin ................ [email-masked]  [email-masked]
3005 Crane Dr. ...................... Web: <http://bill.herrin.us/>
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:17:19 -0400

> establish and maintain communication with a remote host.

 I'm not concerned about scaling, I think we can handle that.  I'm
concerned about privacy.  More soon.

---

From: William Herrin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 13:43:54 -0400

> concerned about privacy.  More soon.

Hi Scott,

I'm not so worried about scaling... DNS is pretty remarkable. I just
think that working around DNS's architecture instead of defining a
supercedent will in some respects unnecessarily complicate and in
others unnecessarily limit ILNP.

-Bill