Subject: [rrg] ILNP ICMPv6 Format

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:48:18 -0500

The technical substance of this document seems correct.
However, I find the descriptive technique slightly annoying.
In order to deal with the alignment effect of squeezing in the Number of 
Locators, the text ends up providing two Examples, and no clearly 
labelled normative syntax description.  I suggest the following cosmetic 
changes:

1) Start with a definition of the syntax, not "Example ICMP message body".

2) Define the syntax in terms of a fixed header which contains a first 
preference and first locator, and then multiple isntances of "additional 
locator" records, each of which contains two 8 bit reserved fields, a 
preference and a locator.  (Two reserved fields so that the second one 
can be parallel to the fixed header reserved field, if we ever want to 
use the field.)

2') Then, in the description of "Num of Locs" do not describe it as the 
number of Locators that follow the reserved field.  Rather, described it 
as "the number of locators in the message, There are Num of Locs - 1 
instance of the additional locator record.  Num of Locs must always be 
at least 1." or similar words.

Yours,
Joel