Subject: [Rserpool] Minutes of Reliable Server Pooling - Rserpool WG IETF 52

From: "Stillman Maureen (NVO-NIC/Ithaca)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:53:08 -0600

This is the short summary that goes to the official IETF minute keeper.

The longer minutes will follow.  As always any comments should be sent
to the list or to me.

-- maureen

-----Original Message-----
From: Stillman Maureen (NVO-NIC/Ithaca) 
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 8:52 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: Minutes of Reliable Server Pooling - Rserpool WG IETF 52

Report on Reliable Server Pooling - Rserpool WG
IETF 52
Co-Chairs: Lyndon Ong ([email-masked])
Maureen Stillman ([email-masked]

Approximately thirty people attended the WG meeting of Rserpool on
Tuesday, December 11 at 9AM.

The requirements document has been approved as an informational RFC.
The IESG had minor comments, which were added to
draft-ietf-rserpool-reqts-03.txt.  

The Rserpool architecture document was discussed and a request for more
generic terminology was proposed.  It was agreed that this approach
should be supported.  In addition, an e-mail to the mailing list with an
example of TFTP will be included in the architecture document.  Many
people felt that the example was very valuable in bringing out important
issues.

We discussed the addition of SLP into the ASAP/ENRP protocol.  A design
team worked on this merger with no consensus reached, but improvements
were made to both ENRP and mesh SLP as a result of the discussion.  We
continued the debate of SLP and ENRP.  We decided to write an
applicability statement pertaining to SLP to describe how it could be
used in Rserpool.  

The comparison document draft-ietf-comp-02.txt will be updated with
recent comments.  The author welcomed further comments on the list.

We have two working group documents that are drafts for the Rserpool
protocol.  At this WG meeting, several new ideas for protocol changes to
the WG documents Aggregate Access Protocol (ASAP)
draft-ietf-rserpool-asap-01.txt and Endpoint Name Resolution Protocol
(ENRP) draft-ietf-rserpool-enrp-01.txt were discussed.   Continued
debate and enhancement of the protocol will continue on the list.

The security threat document draft-stillman-rserpool-threats-00.txt was
debated and valuable comments on it were made.   These will be added to
the draft.  Upon the completion of the threat document, we need to
determine its status in the WG.  The area directors will be asked about
including it in the list of deliverables as an Informational RFC.  The
next step is to determine the security mechanisms to mitigate the
threats. A design team to discuss security solutions will be formed.
The group will formulate potential security solutions and present this
to the list for comment. 

Further discussion of the technical issues concerning the protocol will
be continued on the list. 

-- maureen

Member of Scientific Staff
Nokia           
Mobile: (607)227-2933
e-mail: [email-masked]               www.nokia.com

_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool