Subject: Message aggregation?

From: Gume Gabor Feher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 17:31:42 +0200

Hi!

I measure RSVP performance with the latest Linux ISI implenetation. I found 
that if a refresh message hits the router on a port, then it is emitted 
more later on the other port.

Does RSVP play with refresh messages? Is it some kind of aggregation? I 
suspect it. Even with PATH messages that not addressed to the router.

If I measure new reservation setups, then this effect does not apear at all.

Any help?
Gume

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 09:08:51 -0400

> suspect it. Even with PATH messages that not addressed to the router.

The routers do aggregate RESV messages at refresh time. A router can
pack all RESV messages that belong to the same session and going to the
same previous-hop into a single message (within the limit of the MTU, of
course).

- Ping