Subject: rsvp-refresh-reduct-00 draft, max rsvp bundled and srefresh msg size

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:07:24 -0400

It seems to me the max size of 64K bytes for bundled or srefresh msg is too big
to be practical.  A malicious or malfunctioned upstream node can send such a
message full of repeated submessages and tie your processing up for seconds.
(Such occurances with unbundled messages are not as bad since other non-rsvp
messages can still be processed between rsvp messages.)
Perhaps we can add a reasonable limit to the number of submessages or
message-IDs, beyond which the content will just be ignored?

Liang Li.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:11:44 -0700

*> 
  *> It seems to me the max size of 64K bytes for bundled or srefresh msg is too big
  *> to be practical.  A malicious or malfunctioned upstream node can send such a
  *> message full of repeated submessages and tie your processing up for seconds.
  *> (Such occurances with unbundled messages are not as bad since other non-rsvp
  *> messages can still be processed between rsvp messages.)
  *> Perhaps we can add a reasonable limit to the number of submessages or
  *> message-IDs, beyond which the content will just be ignored?
  *> 
  *> Liang Li.
  *> 
  *> 
  *> 

Your problem seems like (only) an implementation issue.  On the
average, your processor needs to be able to keep up with the flow of
RSVP messages (but of course, Message Id ACK may help this!). It should
not matter whether messages arrive in large or small batches... indeed,
in some systems, the larger the batch, the better.

Bob Braden