Subject: RSVP and IPSec

From: "Sanjay Kaniyar (Exchange)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:58:14 -0700

Before tackling IPSec, let's consider IP only.

I assume, SG1 and SG2 encapsulate IP packets they receive from Host1 and
Host2
and exchange them. So, unless SG1 and SG2 are RSVP-Tunneling aware, which
means they
have to map the E2E signalling to one of the tunnel-sessions, the IP packets
do not
get any reservations in the Router inbetween.
This means, they have to generate a new RESV in the form:
E2Esession -> Tunnel-session:: (h1, h2, p1, p2, pid) -> (sg1, sg2, tp1, tp2,
tpid)
If they don't do this, RSVP will be useless as the Intermediate router will
be
reserving bandwidth for (h1, h2, p1, p2, pid).

So,let's consider the case in which they do this. With IPSec.
E2Esession will be: (h1, h2, vp1, SPI(h1-h2),ESP)
The tunnel will have: (sg1, sg2, vp2, SPI(sg1-sg2),ESP)
and the intermediate router has to reserve BW for (sg1, sg2, vp2,
SPI(sg1-sg2),ESP)
for it to be useful. So, SG1/SG2 should do this mapping of RSVP messages
too.