Subject: Re: Comments on darft-berger-rsvp-refresh-reduct-04-pre.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:30:37 -0700

Lou et al,

I read Section 4 of refresh-reduct-00.txt on the airplane between LAX
and OHare.  At times I wished I had watched the movie, instead.  It was
really hard to figure out what is really going on (in the RSVP draft,
not the movie).

I have a suggestion for a minor change in content that might allow
considerable increase in clarity in the text: don't try to overload all
the different variations of MESSAGE_ID thingys onto a single object
class using different Ctypes.  It gets really confusing.  I know you
understand what is going on, but I think that it is hard for mortals
like me to figure it out, which is undesirable for an important
and fundamental RSVP change like this.

In general, the class number in RSVP establishes the semantics of an
object and tells how it should be processed; the CType allows its
format or other minor variations to be indicated.  It would be more
consistent with RSVP to have three new object types:

	MESSAGE_ID
	MESSAGE_ID_ACK
	MESSAGE_ID_LIST

with 1, 1, and 3 CTypes respectively.

I will send a more detailed list of comments separately.

Bob

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 08:38:10 -0400

I don't object to this change.  I'll check to see if any of my co-authors do.

Lou

At 11:30 AM 10/17/99 -0700, [email-masked] wrote:
...

>I will send a more detailed list of comments separately.

and
At 11:41 AM 10/17/99 -0700, [email-masked] wrote:
>  *> format or other minor variations to be indicated.  It would be more
>  *> consistent with RSVP to have three new object types:
>  *> 
>  *> 	MESSAGE_ID
>  *> 	MESSAGE_ID_ACK
>  *> 	MESSAGE_ID_LIST
>  *> 
>  *> with 1, 1, and 3 CTypes respectively.
>
>Should be 1, 2, and 3 CTypes; there is the MESSAGE_ID_ACK NACK ctype.
>
>  *> 
>  *> I will send a more detailed list of comments separately.
>  *> 
>  *> Bob
>  *>