Subject: [Q]about request bandwidth

From: "welkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 15:45:07 +0900

hi !
i have a question about calculating request-bandwidth in RSVP/CBQ
i saw "request_bandwidth = token-bucket-rate[r]  *  8"
is it right?
if it is, why ?
thanks..

---

From: "Navin kumar Agrawal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:46:03 +0530

Hi,

> if it is, why ?

If you are worried about the multiplication factor of 8, then in my
opinion multiplication is required to change the unit of token bucket
rate
from bytes/sec to bits/sec.

But if the concern is about the average token  rate instead of the peak
rate, then you are correct. Actually the peak rate should be taken in
to consideration for making reservation...But I have learnt that most
of the time it would be possible to specify the peak rate...so as a
thumb rule average rate is taken in to consideration for making
reservation.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Navin