From: Esti Padilla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:35:52 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I am working at the moment on the mapping of the RSVP protocol over  ATM.
We have the following test-bed:

PC (Win 98)----Router------Switch Cisco LS1010-----Router-----PC (Win98)
               Cisco 4700                          Cisco 4700

Both routers support RSVP protocol. At the end systems we have a video
conference application.

My question is: the traffic generated by the aplication is non-RSVP
traffic. How can we map this traffic to RSVP Data, in that way that the
routers can realize that this traffic is RSVP????

If someone has tried a similar configuration before, that would be very
helpful too.

Best regards.

Estibalitz Padilla.

---

From: Ashok Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:44:46 -0500 (EST)

RSVP recognizes traffic based on the sender & destination IP address &
port, and the protocol. You will need to create a reservation for the
traffic being sent down the link. If your application is not capable
of generating RSVP messages to create Path and Resv states, you can do
this by creating proxy reservations on the router. The commands you
want to use are "ip rsvp sender" and "ip rsvp reservation". The IOS
documentation should give you more information on how to use these
commands to create proxy senders & reservations. 

Also, in the release documentation of 12.0(3)T, you should find a
section on "RSVP/ATM QoS Interworking", which is essentially a
description of this functionality and how to use it. You'll have to
check, but I am not sure this functionality is supported on the 4700
platform.

-Ashok

-- 
--- Asok the Intern ----------------------------------------
IOS Network Protocols, Cisco Systems
250 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA 01824
Ph: 978-244-8387