Subject: draft-ietf-rsvp-tunnel-04.txt - multiple tunnel sessions?

From: "Zhang, Jeffrey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 08:50:37 -0500

Hi,

Section 3.3 of the draft says:

   In our
   scheme, all RSVP sessions between the same two routers Rentry and
   Rexit will have identical values for source IP address, destination
   IP address, and destination UDP port number. An individual session is
   identified primarily by the source port value.

However RFC2205 says:

    An RSVP session is defined by the triple: (DestAddress, ProtocolId
      [, DstPort]) ...

Has the definition of session been extended to include source port or even
address?

Thanks.

Jeffrey

---

From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 10:58:51 -0500

Jeffrey -

Session ctype 7 is defined in the draft.  It has a 32-bit extended
tunnel-id field in which a source can place its IP address to ensure
unique identification in the network.

...George

==================================================================
George Swallow       Cisco Systems                   (978) 244-8143
                     250 Apollo Drive
                     Chelmsford, Ma 01824

---

From: Andreas Terzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:10:42 -0800 (PST)

> unique identification in the network.
George, all,

If we are talking about the "RSVP Operation over IP Tunnels" draft
(draft-ietf-rsvp-tunnel-04.txt) which I think the initial question
was about, then we have not defined such a thing as Session ctype 7. 
Probably you were referring to the LSP tunnels draft. 

To answer Jeffrey's question, RSVP's definition of session has not
changed. In the quoted portion of Section 3.3 we (liberally) use
the term "session" to denote the smallest addressable subset of 
traffic that one can reserve resources for inside the tunnel. Since 
all the other fields (source, dest address and destination port) 
are fixed we use the source port to differentiate packets inside 
the tunnel.  

Maybe "session" should be replaced by "flow" in that context.

Hope this helps,

-andreas

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Andreas A. Terzis,                  | UCLA Computer Science Department
[email-masked]                  | Internet Research Lab 
http://irl.cs.ucla.edu/~terzis      |
PGP Signature available at http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~terzis/pub_key.asc

---

From: demir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 19:37:11 -0800 (PST)

> are fixed we use the source port to differentiate packets inside 

Does this mean that tunnel entry management interface picks up a source
port number while mapping flows? If it does, I am guessing that management
interface also manages some pre-allocated port numbers.

Alper K. Demir, Ph.D student
Computer Science Dept.
University of Southern California/ISI
Los Angeles, CA