Subject: about E_Police flag

From: Steve <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 12:10:53 +0530

Hi everyone,
	It seems that E_Police flag specified in RFC2205, RFC2209 has some conflicting points:
1. RFC2205[Page 58] says
"
      o    E_Police_Flag -- Entry Policing

           This flag is set in the first-hop RSVP node that implements
           traffic control (and is therefore capable of policing).

           For example, sender hosts must implement RSVP but currently
           many of them do not implement traffic control.  In this case,
           the E_Police_Flag should be off in the sender host, and it
           should only be set on when the first node capable of traffic
           control is reached.  This is controlled by the E_Police flag
           in SESSION objects.
" and we can concluded that

		(capable of  Traffic policing)
E_Police=off---------------------------------------------------->On.

2.RFC 2205 [Page 78] says, 
"
      Flags

           0x01 = E_Police flag

                The E_Police flag is used in Path messages to determine
                the effective "edge" of the network, to control traffic
                policing.  If the sender host is not itself capable of
                traffic policing, it will set this bit on in Path
                messages it sends.  The first node whose RSVP is capable
                of traffic policing will do so (if appropriate to the
                service) and turn the flag off.
"and we can concluded that

		(capable of  Traffic policing)
E_Police=ON--------------------------------------------------->OFF.

3.RFC 2209[Page 20],
"
             1.   If the PSB has the E_Police flag on and if interface
                  OI is not capable of policing, turn the E_Police flag
                  on in the PATH message being built.
"and we can concluded that
		(not capable of Traffic policing)
E_Police=ON-------------------------------------------------->ON.
Considering the other part of RFC2209 doesn't change the E_Police flag,
we can say that according to RFC2209, E_Police flag is constant.

So, what can we do?
In my opinion, if the 1st is the case, then 2nd and 3rd must be revised, say, 3rd will be like this,
"
             1.   If the PSB has the E_Police flag OFF and if interface
                  OI is capable of policing, turn the E_Police flag
                  on in the PATH message being built.
"

Regards
Steve Tsui

---

From: Steve <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:17:25 +0530

Hi everyone,
	It seems that E_Police flag specified in RFC2205, RFC2209 has some conflicting points for E_Police_Flag:
1. RFC2205[Page 58] says
"
      o    E_Police_Flag -- Entry Policing

           0x01 = E_Police flag

3.RFC 2209[Page 20],
"

So, what can we do?

Regards
Steve Tsui