Subject: Re: Admission Control

From: "Navin kumar Agrawal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 09:38:56 +0530

>One could consider the inbound network stack of the receiving host, 
>to be a sender to the application layer. The receive stack does have
>limited resources. We haven't implemented receive side admission 
>control or traffic control at this time, but consider that it may 
>be a useful feature to implement at some future date.
>Yoram

But what is the end of this approach? Now you are talking of the 
inbound network stack as the sender to the application...later 
you can think of a 'sender' in the application program itself...a
scheduler giving packets to different data collecting points. So 
I see no end of this approach.

But then I also thought that if traffic control is being 
implemented 'independently' at different levels, it could be 
desirable. In this case, I am not sure how RSVP will interact 
with these traffic controllers at different levels....or...even 
before that, will it (the interaction of RSVP with all these
traffic controllers) be required at all or not.

Regards,
Navin

     -----Original Message-----
     From: Maria Elena Villapol [mailto:[email-masked]]
     Sent: Monday, November 29, 1999 10:43 PM
     To: RSVP
     Subject: Admission Control

     Hi everyone 

     If a host is just a receiver (not a sender), does it make sense to
have any admission
     control on the receiver ? 
     I think, admission control occurs just at the outgoing interfaces
with respect to the
     direction of the flow. Thus, there are not outgoing interfaces on
the receiver host ,
     since it is the final destination. 

     Am I right ? 

     Thank in advance 

     Maria 

     -- 
     Maria Elena Villapol
     PhD Student
     Institute for Telecommunications Research
     University of South Australia

     email: [email-masked]
            [email-masked]

     Web Page: http://www.itr.unisa.edu.au/~maria/index.htm

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 10:51:17 -0500

> I see no end of this approach.

The idea is that the path from the receiver's NIC through the IP stack
is one of limited resources, which reservations can be made on.

In fact, this is a reasonable assumption, because many hosts (especially
PCs) do not have a stack (or bus architecture) efficient enough to
provide a stream of packets to applications at the full line rate of a
100Mbps or faster interface.

Going beyond that (within the application) probably doesn't make sense
unless its design creates yet another resource shortage which must be
managed.

-- David