Subject: RE: [Diffserv] QoSSIG BOF

From: Yoram Bernet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:10:36 -0800

Actually, in response to the comment:

"The ISSLL WG doesn't really suit to DS", I would point out that the ISSLL
WG has been working for some time on the mapping of RSVP/Integrated services
to DS. So - this statement is somewhat inaccurate.

Nonetheless, I do think that it is appropriate ot have a forum to continue
to discuss signaled QoS and its application. In fact, in the discussions
preceeding the closing of the RSVP group, it was suggested that an RSVP
implementation group might be formed. 

I would generally oppose the creation of a wroking group to start
standardizing new layer-3 qos signaling protocols. Rather, I would encourage
continuing the work on using RSVP in a scalable manner to unify the various
disparate layer-2 QoS mechanisms in an end-to-end manner (as well as layer-3
hop by hop mechanisms such as diffserv)...

Yoram

-----Original Message-----
From: Istvan Cselenyi [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 11:53 AM
To: RSVP; diffserv; [email-masked]
Cc: Ping Pan
Subject: [Diffserv] QoSSIG BOF

Reading Ping's and earlier threads [1-3] and works [4-11] it seems that 
there are many people who want to contribute to the future of signaled 
QoS, but there is no IETF charter for aggregating all these good (not 
best :-) efforts since  

* the DS WG excludes new signaling by (re)definition 
* the MPLS WG deals with QoS routing and TE which are different
* the ISSLL WG doesn't really suit to DS
* the RSVP WG is closing done

Shall we start with a BOF in Adelaide?

/Istvan

------------------------------
Links

[1]  http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/msg00057.html

[2]  http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/msg03288.html

[3]  http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/msg04872.html

[4]  http://icawww1.epfl.ch/srp/

[5]  http://www.it.kth.se/~gk/Tyrrhenian-ws.ps

[6]  P. White, J. Crowcroft, A Case for Dynamic Sender-Initiated 
Reservation in the Internet, Journal on High Speed Networks, Special 
Issue on QoS Routing and Signaling, Vol 7 No 2, 1998  

[7]  A. Eriksson, C. Gehrmann, "Robust and Secure Light- weight 
Resource Reservation for Unicast IP Traffic", International WS on 
QoS'98, IWQoS'98, May 18-20, 1998  

[8]  http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gibson-sip-qos-resv-00.txt

[9]
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sinnreich-interdomain-sip-qos-o
sp-00.txt

[10]
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-insignia-01.txt

[11]
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bergkvist-boomerang-spec-00.txt

--------------------------------------------------
                Istvan Cselenyi                      
 Telia Research AB           Phone: +46-8-7138173
 Vitsandsgatan 9 B431          Fax: +46-8-7138199          
 S-12386 Farsta            Mobile: +46-70-3228801  
 Sweden        E-mail: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/