Subject: Re: [Diffserv] QoSSIG BOF

From: [email-masked] (Lars Westberg T/NI 2)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:40:39 +0100 (MET)

Hi!
We have a need for a low cost solution, but our problem is not 
end-to-end. We would rather like to solve a intra-domain solution 
or edge-to-edge solution.
Our need is much simplier than solving reservation
from a host-to-network or between different administrative domains.
Our edge could be an edge-router or gateway.

We are assuming that this method should be a complement to the QOS-tool-box
for some dedicated networks with certain characteristic and not for all kinds 
of networks.

We are mostly interested of QOS for Real-time traffic such as voice.

Our basic problems are:

 * High volume of speech-traffic. The reservation scheme has to support up to
   70-90% of voice traffic.

 * Edge-to-edge reservation within one adminstrative domain, not end-to-end.

 * Mobility. Our traffic is moving between different areas in the network.
   semipermanent trunk allocation implies need for more transmission and
   O&M. Cost for operation and maintenance might be the biggest issue. 

 * Fast reservation. The time between request and acknowledgement
   of the reservation should be in the order of the forwarding delay.

We have as well a draft (a marker based scheme, you can find it in the library) 
but I would be very interested to get other proposals from other peoples.

Regards Lars Westberg
        Ericsson Research

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:38:19 +0200 (EET)

dynamic, interdomain qos reservations are not only a technical, but even
more so, an administrative problem.  even if you find a good technical
solution for finding and making the resources available, it may still be
not enough for actual interdomain deployment.

-- juha