Subject: RE: [Diffserv] QoSSIG BOF

From: Lixia Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 21:15:40 -0800

At 12:12 PM 1/22/00 , Yoram Bernet wrote:
> ......
>But - perhaps we don't need quite the leel of fucntionality offered by RSVP
>(e.g. full receiver heterogeneity, other things). I actually believe that
>there is some excess functionality built into RSVP that doesn't justify its
>compelxity. So - we can claim that RSVP tried to do too much, scrap it all
>and start over with another protocol that will be in development for five
>years. Alternatively, we can look at RSVP, ask where it can be simplified
>and how we might use a subset of it that is simpler and that achieves most
>of the functionality that we need. That's really what's been happenning over
>the last few years. We have been working to adopt from RSVP, those pieces
>which provide the functionality we need. 
>
>I hope that you folks that are proposing work on a new protocol are not
>doing so because you think that the fucntionality of RSVP can be achieed
>with a significantly lighterweight protocol. If you do - I think that you
>are casting in doubt the competence of those who created it. 

I personally would not think that way.

I agree that the current RSVP is complex.
I would also like to point out that RSVP did not start as complex, but
ended up there.

Over all these years participating in IETF ever since the very first
meeting, I've seen many best people put in their best effort in dealing
with Internet problems and developing solutions. However I must admit that
I have not found this process the right place to produce *simple* protocols.

For those who want a simple protocol: I am all for it, just that experience
has shown that setting up a BOF/WG is NOT the way to reach you goal.  My
personal suggestion would be to lock the door with a few friends till the
design is finished, then it'd be a better time to run a BOF to convince
others to go with you.

Lixia

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/