Subject: RE: [Diffserv] QoSSIG BOF

From: Yoram Bernet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:36:46 -0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joakim Bergkvist [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2000 8:30 AM
> To: Yoram Bernet
> Cc: [email-masked]; RSVP
> Subject: Re: [Diffserv] QoSSIG BOF
> 
> Kind of cheap rethorics here I get the impression you "are 
> calling into question
> the competence" ;-) of the people wanting to discuss 
> alternatives to RSVP.
> 

I am not questioning competence. I believe that these people are quite
competent. What I am questioning is the comittment to leveraging existing
work rather than inventing new things. It's always more exciting to invent
new work, but - progress seems to be made more rapidly by leveraging
existing work where possible. I don't believe that due dilligence has been
done in understanding how existing work might be applied.

 Since there are
> many with me arguing that a simpler solution for a simpler scenario is
> suficcient it is vital for the credibility of the IETF to 
> sustain a forum for
> these issues.  But I suggest that At least until it is clearly shown that
RSVP is 
> up to the task
> without beeing so complex so as to giv an unreasonable 
> advantage to gigant
> companies with large resources.
> 

This really confuses me...

Are you suggesting that big companies have an advantage in implementing big
protocols? If so, I beg to differ. Small companies are nimble and move very
fast when they want to implement code. I would suggest that (within reason),
the more complicated the protocol, the more the advantage of a small
company. 

Or perhaps you're suggesting that the big companies have an advantage
because all the major network equipment vendors and all the major host
vendors already have RSVP implementations... If this is the case then are
you advocating changing 
protocols in order to *disadvantage* these companies? If so, then this would
seem to actually lengthen time to market and doesn't seem to benefit
anyone... My understanding of the IETF is that its purpose is to promote
interoperability, not to advantage or disadvantage one type of comapny over
another...

> / Jocke

Yoram