Subject: RE: [Diffserv] QoSSIG BOF

From: "Scott W Brim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:10:11 -0500

At 05:10 PM 1/21/00 -0800, Yoram Bernet wrote:
>"The ISSLL WG doesn't really suit to DS", I would point out that the ISSLL
>WG has been working for some time on the mapping of RSVP/Integrated services
>to DS. So - this statement is somewhat inaccurate.

As is the one above.  Paraphrasing Dr. Wroclawski, ISSLL is looking at 
how to integrate DS into the intserv model, treating a DS domain as an 
intserv object.  That's one approach to Istvan's problem set but starts 
out with a definite stance regarding QoS signaling.

>I would generally oppose the creation of a wroking group to start
>standardizing new layer-3 qos signaling protocols. Rather, I would encourage
>continuing the work on using RSVP in a scalable manner to unify the various
>disparate layer-2 QoS mechanisms in an end-to-end manner (as well as layer-3
>hop by hop mechanisms such as diffserv)...

RSVP is fine for certain situations, but arguments about whether it's the 
ultimate protocol don't make sense until we're clearer about what we want 
it to do.  I'd like to go ahead with a discussion of general 
requirements, to get them all cataloged.  I think we could probably do 
that by mail -- although we should select ONE list.  If we want to meet 
about it I think we should use DECIDES.

...Scott

---

From: "Istvan Cselenyi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:41:54 +0100

Hi,

as the trouble maker who started the QoSSIG thread on several threads 
in parallel, I propose to move it to the RSVP list (if Lixia and Bob agree) 
and to the Boomerang list:

General Discussion:	[email-masked]
To Subscribe: 	  http://soha.ttt.bme.hu/mailman/listinfo/boomerang
Archive: 	 http://soha.ttt.bme.hu/mailman/listinfo/boomerang

You can surf in the Boomerang archive w/o registration or password.

Sorry for the increased mail traffic.

Istvan

> about it I think we should use DECIDES.

--------------------------------------------------
                Istvan Cselenyi                      
 Telia Research AB           Phone: +46-8-7138173
 Vitsandsgatan 9 B431          Fax: +46-8-7138199          
 S-12386 Farsta            Mobile: +46-70-3228801  
 Sweden        E-mail: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------