Subject: Re: QoSSIG BOF

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 14:32:39 -0500

Michael Welzl wrote:
> 
> > RSVP and other proposals (BGRP, YESSIR...) are signaling protocols to
> > distribute resource information between end hosts and
> > routers. But IMO,
> > they do NOT apply the actual reservation, packet queuing, buffer
> > management, scheduling and classification.
> >
> > - Ping
> 
> RSVP may not apply the reservation, but it relies on it to function.
> Without reservation, how could RSVP generate a ResvErr message with
> Error Code 1, Sub-code 2: Requested bandwidth unavailable, for example?
> The definition of "available bandwidth" changes dramatically without
> resource reservation.
> 
> Regards,
> Michael Welzl

Micheal,

When people use RSVP to setup MPLS, each LSP can have ZERO bandwidth.
Please check the draft in MPLS WG. In we are only talking about
bandwidth reservation, then state scaling problem is that serious at
this point. But when we use it to setup virtual connections all over the
network, then we need to be careful.

BR 

--
Ping Pan         http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~pingpan