Subject: Announcement: KOM RSVP Procotol Engine, version 2.0

From: Martin Karsten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:22:38 +0100 (CET)

I would like to announce, to any interested party, the availability of the
KOM RSVP protocol engine, release version 2.0.

This release contains a number of new features over previous releases:
- improved internal code structure
- multi-threaded message processing (optional)
- integration of ALTQ package (CBQ and HFSC scheduling) on FreeBSD
- fuzzy timer optimization (optional)
- initial performance tests

Although I don't claim the code to be highly optimized, I have done some
initial performance evaluations (on PCs with PIII 450Mhz); the results are
quite promising (I believe):

- A FreeBSD router can handle the raw signalling of 20,000 unicast flows.
  CPU utilization is about 77%.

- In combination with ALTQ-HFSC packet classification and scheduling, it can
  be loaded with up to 10,000 unicast flows and at the same time handle packet
  classification and forwarding of ~ 20,000 packets/sec.

- Preliminary tests show that if other optimizations, especially enabling
  fuzzy timers, and further tuning are carried out, these results can be
  increased quite significantly, i.e. raw signalling for ~ 30,000 flows
  => ~ 50% CPU utilization.

Fur further information and download:
http://www.kom.e-technik.tu-darmstadt.de/rsvp/

Greetings,
Martin

---

From: Stefano Giorcelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:01:49 -0800

Hi Martin,

I read your paper "Design and Implementation of RSVP based on
Object-Relationships", that describes your RSVP implementation, and I have a
question regarding a sentence in section 6.4:

"...as has been reported to the rsvp-test mailing list [Mev99], the ISI code
currently has a hard-coded limitation to support only 64 concurrent sessions."

The email quoted (sent by Patrick Mevzek on June 24th, 1999) says that some
MAX_SESSIONS parameter is set to 64 in the ISI code, and that attempts to
increase this number result in other problems with some data structures.

I recently downloaded the 4.2a4 release of ISI code, and I don't see such
limitation. Am I missing something?

Could you explain? Can anyone confirm (or object to) this statement?

Thanks in advance,
Stefano 

--
Stefano Giorcelli
Cisco Systems, Inc.

---

From: Martin Karsten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 00:08:32 +0100 (MET)

> Could you explain? Can anyone confirm (or object to) this statement?

I am sorry I can neither object or confirm. Nobody ever replied to the email
above and Patrick confirmed his observation during a private email exchange.
He also told me that he managed to compile it to be able to handle 262144
flows, but then it allocated 83 MBytes memory at startup. When I have looked
at the code (before this email), I found it rather unsuitable for extending
it or generally playing around with it, so I decided to develop new code and
did not look into rsvpd's details. Maybe I should have done it before
quoting this email, but then again, nobody replied...

Note that I do not intend to bash anything or anyone here. Developing code
while you are defining a protocol is something completely different from
developing code when everything is settled.

Greetings,
Martin